Happy Birthday!
DonnaB shallotpeel
2007-02-24 16:28:46 UTC
Goes out to another February birthday, ... Alan!
--
DonnaB

"The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging." - Molly Ivins,
Source: Creators Syndicate
Loretta Eisenberg
2007-02-24 17:18:16 UTC
Alan, happy happy birthday. I should have baked you a cake last summer,
low carb of course. lol

Loretta

--
In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.
Alan S
2007-02-24 22:40:21 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Alan, happy happy birthday. I should have baked you a cake last summer,
low carb of course. lol
Loretta
Thanks Loretta.

The cake definitely wasn't low-carb and I had a piece. But
even I wasn't silly enough to have the Pavlova after that,
as the other guests did.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Loretta Eisenberg
2007-02-24 23:27:19 UTC
Alan what is Pavlova, the female word for pavlov as in pavlovs dog

terrorism.
Ozgirl
2007-02-25 01:20:27 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Alan what is Pavlova, the female word for pavlov as in
pavlovs dog

It is the most divine dessert. It has meringue as a base,
inside the meringue it is soft, gooey and chewy, nice
contrast to the outer hardness. You make it like a nest so
you can fill it with real whipped cream and top with fruit.
I like strawberries, banana slices, kiwi fruit slices and
passionfruit drizzled over the top.
Loretta Eisenberg
2007-02-25 14:33:17 UTC
Jan it sure does sound divine. I dont think they make that hear in the
states, and that is good, because I would be on line for a piece.

Loretta

terrorism.
Ozgirl
2007-02-25 21:12:02 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
states, and that is good, because I would be on line for a
piece.
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Loretta
Whenever I go to a party, unless you seat yourself at the
buffet, the chances of getting any pavlova are slim, its the
first dessert to disappear, always ;)
MI
2007-02-25 22:54:31 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Loretta
Whenever I go to a party, unless you seat yourself at the
buffet, the chances of getting any pavlova are slim, its the
first dessert to disappear, always ;)
I wish they weren't available in Canada. I just love it with kiwi,
strawberries and blue berries. Ah. Those were the days.

Martha T2 Canada
Alan S
2007-02-26 00:54:19 UTC
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:20:27 +1100, "Ozgirl"
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Alan what is Pavlova, the female word for pavlov as in
pavlovs dog
It is the most divine dessert. It has meringue as a base,
inside the meringue it is soft, gooey and chewy, nice
contrast to the outer hardness. You make it like a nest so
you can fill it with real whipped cream and top with fruit.
I like strawberries, banana slices, kiwi fruit slices and
passionfruit drizzled over the top.
To die for; literally in our case:-)

latest: Epidaurus
Priscilla Ballou
2007-02-26 02:50:23 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Alan what is Pavlova, the female word for pavlov as in
pavlovs dog
It is the most divine dessert. It has meringue as a base,
inside the meringue it is soft, gooey and chewy, nice
contrast to the outer hardness. You make it like a nest so
you can fill it with real whipped cream and top with fruit.
I like strawberries, banana slices, kiwi fruit slices and
passionfruit drizzled over the top.
To die for; literally in our case:-)
http://www.cookingatdebras.com/images/Pavlova%201.jpg
Sounds like a dessert I fell in love with when I was 12. My family took
a trip to England (and a few elsewheres) and spent a week in London at
the Regent's Palace hotel. Their dessert cart had something they called
"meringue gateau." It was a *tall* meringue shell filled with custard
and fruit and topped with whipped cream. I think I may have had a slice
of that for dessert every night we ate in the hotel.

Priscilla, mouth watering at the memory
W. Baker
2007-02-24 23:48:15 UTC
Loretta Eisenberg <***@webtv.net> wrote:
: Alan, happy happy birthday. I should have baked you a cake last summer,
: low carb of course. lol

: Loretta

Alan,

happy Birthday! Mine wa syesterday so we are alost twins (with a few yers
difference) but you will soon catch up:-) At least it seems that way.

Wendy
Loretta Eisenberg
2007-02-25 00:52:31 UTC
Oh Wendy congratulations. Sorry I didnt know sooner. Happy birthday to
you.

Loretta

terrorism.
Ozgirl
Happy birthday Wendy! Hope it was a great day for you.
W. Baker
2007-02-25 03:38:36 UTC
Ozgirl <***@maccas.com> wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > Loretta Eisenberg <***@webtv.net> wrote:
: >: Alan, happy happy birthday. I should have baked you a
: cake last
: >: summer, low carb of course. lol
: >
: >: Loretta
: >
: > Alan,
: >
: > happy Birthday! Mine wa syesterday so we are alost twins
: (with a few
: > yers difference) but you will soon catch up:-) At least it
: seems that
: > way.
: >
: > Wendy

: Happy birthday Wendy! Hope it was a great day for you.

thanks all for the greetings and good wishes. it was not so great a
birthday as my DH was still in hospital even though we expected he
wouldget home then. Delay for a day and he is home now. After never
having to take any meds he suddenly developed congestive heart failure.
They think it started with a clot that caused the heart to race, led ot
edema and difficulty breathing. Now he is on blood thiners, digoxin and
generic lasix. If the heart heals itself over time some of thes may be
reduced over time, bu tnot likely the blood thinner.

do any of you gee whizzes out there know much about vitamin K. He is
supposed to avoid it and it is in dark, leafy greens, one of the mainstays
of my diet. Which are worse and which less so, so I can make some
intelegent choices.

Wendy
Ozgirl
2007-02-25 03:56:58 UTC
Post by W. Baker
: (with a few
: > yers difference) but you will soon catch up:-) At least
it
Post by W. Baker
: seems that
: > way.
: >
Post by W. Baker
make some intelegent choices.
What usually happens is that a dose of blood thinner is
calculated on the person's normal intake of certain
vegetables. I can't see why he is told to avoid something
when meds can be adjusted to suit. The doctor is supposed to
do that, at least that's how it worked for the couple of men
I knew who had to take blood thinners. They couldn't change
their level of dark greens without advising the doctor,
avoiding the greens was not a requisite. He and you together
need to discuss this with his doctor
Ozgirl
2007-02-25 04:01:44 UTC
Post by Ozgirl
Post by W. Baker
: > few yers difference) but you will soon catch up:-) At
least it
Post by Ozgirl
Post by W. Baker
: > seems that way.
: >
Post by Ozgirl
need to discuss this with his doctor
Wendy, here is a site to read while waiting to talk to the
doctor:

http://texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Meds/blodmeds.cfm
Ozgirl
2007-02-25 04:12:06 UTC
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by W. Baker
: > few yers difference) but you will soon catch up:-) At
least it
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by W. Baker
: > seems that way.
: >
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
Post by Ozgirl
need to discuss this with his doctor
Wendy, here is a site to read while waiting to talk to the
http://texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Meds/blodmeds.cfm
Here's a sample diet you might like to print and show the
doctor, not enough veggies in my opinion but you might be
able to add some of the vit K greens as long as you keep to
similar amounts every day.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtot39.htm
W. Baker
2007-02-25 19:48:41 UTC
Ozgirl <***@maccas.com> wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > Ozgirl <***@maccas.com> wrote:
: >: W. Baker wrote:
: >: > Loretta Eisenberg <***@webtv.net> wrote:
: >: >: Alan, happy happy birthday. I should have baked you a
: >: cake last
: >: >: summer, low carb of course. lol
: >: >
: >: >: Loretta
: >: >
: >: > Alan,
: >: >
[...]

thanks, I ws told tht they were not limiting him at this time and would
see what he did on the subsequent tests. I was concerned because those
leafy greens are such a mainstay of my and our diet. We have a cooked
vegetable and a salad every night. the hospital diet, of course, is
nothing liek that. Their idea of a vegetable serving is a tablespoon or
two and the salads occasionally served are tiny. Now that he is home we
are back to the regular routine adn he sees the cardiologist tororrw or
Tuesday for a proton test (sounds lke something from StarTrek). He will
be getting frequent test, I gather.

It is all so new and I do want to try to make a good fit between our two
sets of limitations.

Wendy
Evelyn Ruut
2007-02-25 20:51:16 UTC
Post by W. Baker
[...]
Wendy they may be referring to very concentrated leafy vegetables, like
spinach or kale and such. Lettuces of almost any variety one would use in a
salad are mostly water and not so concentrated.

My husband is also supposed to avoid spinach and such, since he forms kidney
stones with a calcium oxalate base. Tea and cola drinks are also included
in that.
--
Best Regards,

Evelyn Ruut
Ozgirl
2007-02-25 21:19:00 UTC
Post by W. Baker
: >: > a few yers difference) but you will soon catch up:-)
At least
Post by W. Baker
: >: > it seems that way.
: >: >
: >: > Wendy
: >
Post by W. Baker
: blood
: > thiners, digoxin and generic lasix. If the heart heals
: itself over
: > time some of thes may be reduced over time, bu tnot
likely
Post by W. Baker
: the blood
: > thinner.
: >
Post by W. Baker
gather.
It is all so new and I do want to try to make a good fit
between our
Post by W. Baker
two sets of limitations.
Wendy
You could perhaps still have the greens yourself, give hubby
less of those and add a few different veggies to his plate
so he doesn't starve :) I know people prefer to cook much
the same for everyone in the family but sometimes a little
compromise is necessary. I compromise too much, sometimes I
do about 4 different meals at one sitting to shut the fussy
ones up ;) Anyway, whatever you guys decide to do run it by
the doctor. Sounds like a smaller serve of those particular
foods is ok by your doc but best to be sure.
Evelyn Ruut
2007-02-25 22:28:11 UTC
Post by W. Baker
: >: > a few yers difference) but you will soon catch up:-)
At least
Post by W. Baker
: >: > it seems that way.
: >: >
: >: > Wendy
: >
Post by W. Baker
: blood
: > thiners, digoxin and generic lasix. If the heart heals
: itself over
: > time some of thes may be reduced over time, bu tnot
likely
Post by W. Baker
: the blood
: > thinner.
: >
Post by W. Baker
two sets of limitations.
Wendy
You could perhaps still have the greens yourself, give hubby
less of those and add a few different veggies to his plate
so he doesn't starve :) I know people prefer to cook much
the same for everyone in the family but sometimes a little
compromise is necessary. I compromise too much, sometimes I
do about 4 different meals at one sitting to shut the fussy
ones up ;) Anyway, whatever you guys decide to do run it by
the doctor. Sounds like a smaller serve of those particular
foods is ok by your doc but best to be sure.
They are probably not referring to things like iceberg lettuce, but more
heavy greens like spinach and kale etc.
--
Best Regards,

Evelyn Ruut
W. Baker
2007-02-26 01:27:36 UTC
Evelyn Ruut <***@gmail.com> wrote:
: "Ozgirl" <***@maccas.com> wrote in message
: news:***@news.supernews.com...
: > W. Baker wrote:
: >> Ozgirl <***@maccas.com> wrote:
: >>: W. Baker wrote:
: >>: > Ozgirl <***@maccas.com> wrote:
: >>: >: W. Baker wrote:
: >>: >: > Loretta Eisenberg <***@webtv.net> wrote:
: >>: >: >: Alan, happy happy birthday. I should have baked
: > you a
: >>: >: cake last
: >>: >: >: summer, low carb of course. lol
: >>: >: >
: >>: >: >: Loretta
: >>: >: >
: >>: >: > Alan,
: >>: >: >
: >>: >: > happy Birthday! Mine wa syesterday so we are alost
: > twins (with
: >>: >: > a few yers difference) but you will soon catch up:-)
: > At least
: >>: >: > it seems that way.
: >>: >: >
: >>: >: > Wendy
: >>: >
[...]
: >>
[...]

: --

: Best Regards,

: Evelyn Ruut

We generall don't have thiceberg lettuse, but romaine, or the loose leaf
geen surly lettuce whose name is currently excaping me. Also green or red
peppers, radishes, tomatoes, sometimes green herbs or scallions or some
sweet onion. Only occsionally do I use arugela(rocket) or spinach etc.

Wendy
Evelyn Ruut
2007-02-26 11:50:18 UTC
Post by W. Baker
[...]
Yes, and adding lots of cucumbers and tomatoes and other veggies to the
salad will stretch it and make it more interesting anyway.

It is probably important for you to find out exactly what kinds of greens
the doctor is talking about, and maybe get a list. In my husbands case the
doctor especially mentioned beet greens, spinach and kale. Those are
vegetables that one cooks down and thus there is a heavy concentrate. Of
course, his list is for a different medical reason, but you get the idea.

A gigantic pot of raw spinach will cook down to a very small amount. But
the same amount in a salad is a different thing altogether. Certain
greens like various lettuces and such are mainly water.
--
Best Regards,

Evelyn Ruut
W. Baker
2007-02-27 16:48:24 UTC
Evelyn Ruut <***@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
: > : >>: >
: > : >>: > do any of you gee whizzes out there know much about
: > : >>: vitamin K. He is
: > : >>: > supposed to avoid it and it is in dark, leafy greens,
: > : > one
: > : >>: of the
: > : >>: > mainstays of my diet. Which are worse and which less
: > : > so,
: > : >>: so I can
: > : >>: > make some intelegent choices.
: > : >>
[...]
: > : >
: > : > You could perhaps still have the greens yourself, give hubby
: > : > less of those and add a few different veggies to his plate
: > : > so he doesn't starve :) I know people prefer to cook much
: > : > the same for everyone in the family but sometimes a little
: > : > compromise is necessary. I compromise too much, sometimes I
: > : > do about 4 different meals at one sitting to shut the fussy
: > : > ones up ;) Anyway, whatever you guys decide to do run it by
: > : > the doctor. Sounds like a smaller serve of those particular
: > : > foods is ok by your doc but best to be sure.
: >
: >
: >
: > : They are probably not referring to things like iceberg lettuce, but more
: > : heavy greens like spinach and kale etc.
: >
: > : --
: >
: > : Best Regards,
: >
: > : Evelyn Ruut
: >
[...]

We saw the doctor esterday (he will go once a week for a while) and he
said not to restrict his greens, as he never wants to discourage vegetable
eating:-) He just wanted to make sure that he wasnot taking any vinamin
pill with vitamin K in it. As he takes no supplements, he is clear. I
understand that kale is a big offender, but we generally don't eat it, so
that's good. i suppose if he has problems with the clotting or the
stomach ( he now takes Prilosec as a preventative) there may be some
changes.

Wendy
Evelyn Ruut
2007-02-27 17:18:09 UTC
Post by W. Baker
[...]
I thought so. Watch out especially for cooked spinach as well. A whole
lot of raw spinach cooks down to a very small portion on ones plate. It is
that kind of concentration that they are usually talking about, not just
ordinary salad greens.
--
Best Regards,

Evelyn Ruut
MI
2007-02-25 22:29:24 UTC
If the heart heals
Post by W. Baker
itself over
Post by W. Baker
make some intelegent choices.
My husband has been on blood thinners for several years. He has never been
told he can't anything. And that's exactly how he eats. What he must do
however is go to the lab every month for an INR to make sure the reading is
neither high nor low.

He is in the hospital now recovering from pneumonia and congestive heart
failure and they let him anything that the serve except salt.

Martha T2 Canada
Loretta Eisenberg
2007-02-25 14:35:41 UTC
Vitamin K is a clotting factor so he needs to avoid the things you
mentioned. My friend is on coumadin and she has to not eat those
things. Of course, she doesnt abide by the rules and is in and out of
the hospital.

Loretta

terrorism.
Ozgirl
2007-02-25 21:14:30 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
things. Of course, she doesnt abide by the rules and is
in and out of
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
the hospital.
Loretta
The two guys I know (knew, 1 unfortunately passed away
because of severe medical problems anyway) were on Warfarin
(Coumadin there) and they were told to eat the same amount
of those "greens" every day. Not to suddenly eat large
amounts. maybe telling someone to avoid those foods is
easier than sending someone to a dietician to sort out a
reasonable amount of those foods in a diet, dunno.
Evelyn Ruut
2007-02-25 16:13:21 UTC
Post by W. Baker
[...]
Hi Wendy, I hope you have a wonderful birthday! Sorry to hear about your
hubby. I hope he gets home soon and is well again.
--
Best Regards,

Evelyn Ruut
Cheri

Wendy
Alan S
2007-02-25 06:41:50 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:48:15 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
Post by W. Baker
: Alan, happy happy birthday. I should have baked you a cake last summer,
: low carb of course. lol
: Loretta
Alan,
happy Birthday! Mine wa syesterday so we are alost twins (with a few yers
difference) but you will soon catch up:-) At least it seems that way.
Wendy
Hi Wendy

We may be the same day - my actual birthday was the same as
Washington - February 22nd.

I hope that not just your birthday but the rest of your year
is a wonderful one.

And thanks to all the others who offered good wishes - I'll
thank you all here via Wendy as I already clog up too much
space on this group:-)

latest: Epidaurus
W. Baker
2007-02-25 19:53:50 UTC
Alan S <***@gmail.com> wrote:
: >
: >Alan,
: >
: >happy Birthday! Mine wa syesterday so we are alost twins (with a few yers
: >difference) but you will soon catch up:-) At least it seems that way.
: >
: >Wendy

: Hi Wendy

: We may be the same day - my actual birthday was the same as
: Washington - February 22nd.

: I hope that not just your birthday but the rest of your year
: is a wonderful one.

: And thanks to all the others who offered good wishes - I'll
: thank you all here via Wendy as I already clog up too much
: space on this group:-)

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
: d&e, metformin 1000mg, ezetrol 10mg
: Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
: --
: http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
: http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
: latest: Epidaurus

You are on George's day, I am one day later, and even allowing fo rthe
time differences, I was born in the evening around 7PM so I ws told, so
there would not be an overlap.

Too bad as it would be fun to be sharing tht.

Wendy
Alan S
2007-02-24 22:41:03 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:28:46 -0500, DonnaB shallotpeel
Post by DonnaB shallotpeel
Goes out to another February birthday, ... Alan!
Thanks Donna:-)

Much appreciated.

latest: Epidaurus
Ozgirl
2007-02-24 23:01:20 UTC
I'll second that!
Will, T2
2007-02-25 00:00:38 UTC
Post by DonnaB shallotpeel
Goes out to another February birthday, ... Alan!
Hi Alan,

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you... note, note, tra, la,
la...

Seriously, many of us care greatly for you and you continued happiness
and good health!

Will, T2
Craig
2007-02-25 01:33:06 UTC
Post by DonnaB shallotpeel
Goes out to another February birthday, ... Alan!
--
DonnaB
"The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging." - Molly Ivins,
Source: Creators Syndicate
Happy Birthday Alan and Wendy!!
Best wishes,
Craig,Type 2
NSW,Australia
Will, T2
2007-02-25 01:58:18 UTC
Post by Craig
Post by DonnaB shallotpeel
Goes out to another February birthday, ... Alan!
--
DonnaB
"The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging." - Molly Ivins,
Source: Creators Syndicate
Happy Birthday Alan and Wendy!!
Best wishes,
Craig,Type 2
NSW,Australia
Wendy!

Is it your birthday, too?

Happy Birthday to you, too! You are one of my very favorite people :-)

Will, T2
W. Baker
2007-02-25 03:39:40 UTC
Craig <***@bigblue.net.au> wrote:

: "DonnaB shallotpeel" <***@comcast.net> wrote in message
: news:***@4ax.com...
: > Goes out to another February birthday, ... Alan!
: >
: > --
: > DonnaB
: >
: > "The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging." - Molly
: > Ivins,
: > Source: Creators Syndicate

: Happy Birthday Alan and Wendy!!
: Best wishes,
: Craig,Type 2
: NSW,Australia

Thanks!
How are the wife and babies doing?

Wendy
Craig
2007-02-25 05:24:12 UTC
<snip> Thanks!
How are the wife and babies doing?
Wendy
Hi Wendy,
Babies and wife are doing well and home from hospital
Sorry to hear of your husband's heart problems. I hope that the meds will
provide some relief for him.
How are you both coping through all this?
Please know that there are many out there that care about you and while we
may not be able to help too much from a distance, know that our thoughts and
prayers are with you and your husband.
Best Wishes,
Craig,Type2
NSW,Australia
.
W. Baker
2007-02-25 19:57:41 UTC
Craig <***@bigblue.net.au> wrote:

: "W. Baker" <***@panix.com> wrote in message
: news:err0ds$g30$***@reader2.panix.com...
: ><snip> Thanks!
: > How are the wife and babies doing?
: >
: > Wendy
: >Hi Wendy,
: Babies and wife are doing well and home from hospital
: Sorry to hear of your husband's heart problems. I hope that the meds will
: provide some relief for him.
: How are you both coping through all this?
: Please know that there are many out there that care about you and while we
: may not be able to help too much from a distance, know that our thoughts and
: prayers are with you and your husband.
: Best Wishes,
: Craig,Type2
: NSW,Australia
: .

Thanks fo ryour concern. We are doing quite well, bu tit will take us
some adjusting, as Syd has been unusually healty for his 85 years, not
even taking a baby asprin. His lipids and BP are still excellent, but he
has to adjust to a new mind-set and that will take soem doing. He expects
to be able to resume is activities, even workdin out in the gym after
some recoperative time. There is hope that his heart, itself, not the
original cause of the problem, will be able to heal itself.

I will keep all posted with , what I hope , will be his progress.

Wendy
Cheri
2007-02-25 20:05:05 UTC
I hope so too Wendy.

Cheri

W. Baker wrote in message ...speaking of her husband and his heart
problems.
Wendy
Nicky
2007-02-26 12:48:23 UTC
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:57:41 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
Post by W. Baker
I will keep all posted with , what I hope , will be his progress.
Please do!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.5% BMI 25
DonnaB shallotpeel
2007-02-25 06:22:46 UTC
In alt.support.diabetes on Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:28:46 -0500 in Msg.#
Post by DonnaB shallotpeel
Goes out to another February birthday, ... Alan!
And to another of us February born, Wendy!

You know, really the best people are born this month. {But don't tell any of
the other months! Shhhh.}
--
DonnaB

"Misquotation is, in fact, the pride and privilege of the learned. A
widely-read man never quotes accurately, for the rather obvious reason that
he has read too widely." - Hesketh Pearson (1887?-1964)