Telephone solicitation for "Diabetes Network"
Gary Woods
2011-04-12 19:45:24 UTC
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said, "She's
dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the Diabetes Network,
and that they took good care of senior citizens who were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time asking
for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?

Tiger Lily
2011-04-12 19:49:15 UTC
Post by Gary Woods
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said, "She's
dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the Diabetes Network,
and that they took good care of senior citizens who were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time asking
for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?
Gary, i have received many 'offers' and i tell them, oh yes, i'm very
interested, would you kindly send me notice of your offer in WRITING so
i may consider it further

(enter dail tone noise here)

:D

kate
Janet
2011-04-12 19:55:10 UTC
Post by Gary Woods
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said,
"She's dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the
Diabetes Network, and that they took good care of senior citizens who
were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time
asking for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?
I believe that the same people have been calling at my parents' house (and
I, not a resident, am the only diabetic in the family). I say we are not
interested, and hang up. Last time I asked them to remove the number from
their list. I believe that they are legally required to do so if you tell
them to. I hope.
Tiger Lily
2011-04-12 20:06:24 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Gary Woods
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said,
"She's dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the
Diabetes Network, and that they took good care of senior citizens who
were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time
asking for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?
I believe that the same people have been calling at my parents' house (and
I, not a resident, am the only diabetic in the family). I say we are not
interested, and hang up. Last time I asked them to remove the number from
their list. I believe that they are legally required to do so if you tell
them to. I hope.
i've tried that again and again

if they are calling from overseas, the law doesn't apply to them, apparently

so, i now ask, you are calling for what company?

where are you calling from?

what is your name?

may i have the contact phone # for the company you are calling from?

then i state, according to XXX legislation........ IF they indicate they
are from the US or Canada

by time i'm at this last question, all over seas operators have hung up
on me

meanwhile, i have discovered that holding my hand just over the mike and
up the phone causes the MOST ANNOYING FEEDBACK SQUEAL you have EVER
heard................. they don't call back either!

i'm not sure why

:D
Julie Bove
2011-04-12 20:10:45 UTC
Post by Tiger Lily
Post by Janet
Post by Gary Woods
[...]
One thing I used to do before we had the "Do not call" list was to just set
the phone down and walk away. Then about a half an hour later I would hang
it up.
Tiger Lily
2011-04-12 20:22:08 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Tiger Lily
Post by Janet
Post by Gary Woods
[...]
the authorities in charge of the 'do not call' list charge a fee to
download the list

that's great for the HONEST people who are trying to comply

it's easy access for everyone else

hubby's friend at work signed up for that and his phone never stops
ringing anymore, he's FURIOUS!
Julie Bove
2011-04-12 20:23:19 UTC
Post by Tiger Lily
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Tiger Lily
Post by Janet
Post by Gary Woods
[...]
I signed up and it seemed to work for a while. But now I am getting several
calls a week.
Tiger Lily
2011-04-12 20:30:57 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Tiger Lily
hubby's friend at work signed up for that and his phone never stops
ringing anymore, he's FURIOUS!
I signed up and it seemed to work for a while. But now I am getting several
calls a week.
:/

dunno how it works in the USA, bet you can download the "Do Not Call"
list quickly and cheaply

:/
Ellen K.
2011-04-12 20:39:20 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Tiger Lily
hubby's friend at work signed up for that and his phone never stops
ringing anymore, he's FURIOUS!
I signed up and it seemed to work for a while. But now I am getting several
calls a week.
:/
dunno how it works in the USA, bet you can download the "Do Not Call" list
quickly and cheaply
:/
Not quickly, the size of it is mind-boggling. A few years ago I tried to
download it for work, even one state at a time was horrendous.
Ellen K.
2011-04-12 20:38:05 UTC
Post by Tiger Lily
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Tiger Lily
Post by Janet
Post by Gary Woods
[...]
Charitable and religious solicitations are still allowed, but commercial
solicitations to persons on the do not call list are illegal and subject to
fines. Your friend's husband should get the name and address of each
soliciting company and then contact the FCC.
MI
2011-04-12 20:13:12 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Gary Woods
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said,
"She's dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the
Diabetes Network, and that they took good care of senior citizens who
were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time
asking for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?
I believe that the same people have been calling at my parents' house (and
I, not a resident, am the only diabetic in the family). I say we are not
interested, and hang up. Last time I asked them to remove the number from
their list. I believe that they are legally required to do so if you tell
them to. I hope.
I am on the Do Not Call List here in Canada. It only works, if it works at
all, if the call is from Canada. I get them all the time and threaten to
report them. The ones from the US and overseas aren't intimidated because
they know that can't be touched. Most of the Canadians hang up quickly. You
have a similar list in the US. You should put your name on the list. Of
course there are many exceptions---charities, pollsters, anyone you've done
business with in the last 6 months aren't bound by it. Annoying but it does
help thin it out a bit.
--
Martha T2 Canada
1500mg. Metformin, 100mg. Januvia,
500/50mg. Advair, 10mg. Singulair
Ozgirl
2011-04-12 23:00:43 UTC
I ma not only on the DO NOT CALL list my phone number is also silent. I
like you have had people hang up the moment I say I am on the register
but for the odd few that get through from India, I hang up on. Of
course the phone company can ring me to solicit.
Gary Woods
2011-04-12 20:17:05 UTC
Post by Janet
Last time I asked them to remove the number from
their list. I believe that they are legally required to do so if you tell
them to. I hope.
That's true, but many of these outfits know enforcement will take years,
and they will have folded their tents and crept away by then. We're
already on the "do not call" list, but a lot of phone crooks claim they're
not selling anything and are exempt. My usual response is, "So, you're
ethically challenged. Why on earth would I want to do business with you?"

Ellen K.
2011-04-12 20:40:58 UTC
Post by Gary Woods
Post by Janet
Last time I asked them to remove the number from
their list. I believe that they are legally required to do so if you tell
them to. I hope.
That's true, but many of these outfits know enforcement will take years,
and they will have folded their tents and crept away by then. We're
already on the "do not call" list, but a lot of phone crooks claim they're
not selling anything and are exempt. My usual response is, "So, you're
ethically challenged. Why on earth would I want to do business with you?"
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic
If you are still getting commercial solicitations you can report the
offenders to the FCC.

And/or, invest in a nice police whistle and keep it by the phone. :)
bj
2011-04-12 21:00:35 UTC
If you are still getting commercial solicitations you can report the offenders to the FCC.
This assumes you can get the info on who they are -- which they are careful
to hide.
bj
Susan
2011-04-12 21:58:19 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by bj
This assumes you can get the info on who they are -- which they are careful
to hide.
bj
You used to be able to press *57 to create a call trace, then report it
to the phone carrier for investigation. They can ID it.

Susan
bj
2011-04-13 00:43:53 UTC
Post by Susan
Post by bj
This assumes you can get the info on who they are -- which they are careful
to hide.
You used to be able to press *57 to create a call trace, then report it
to the phone carrier for investigation. They can ID it.
Susan
Would anything like that work If the caller ID reads all zeroes?
bj
Susan
2011-04-13 00:53:20 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by bj
Would anything like that work If the caller ID reads all zeroes?
bj
Yes, it's a real source trace. Gets reported to the police or the
service provider, can't recall. They don't release the name to you directly.

Call your phone provider and ask about it. IIRC, there was a small
charge for using it.

Susan
Ellen K.
2011-04-13 05:20:31 UTC
Post by Susan
x-no-archive: yes
Post by bj
Would anything like that work If the caller ID reads all zeroes?
bj
Yes, it's a real source trace. Gets reported to the police or the service
provider, can't recall. They don't release the name to you directly.
Call your phone provider and ask about it. IIRC, there was a small charge
for using it.
Susan
If this is still operative it will be very useful! Thanks for posting!
:)
Ellen K.
2011-04-13 05:19:52 UTC
Post by bj
Post by Susan
Post by bj
This assumes you can get the info on who they are -- which they are careful
to hide.
You used to be able to press *57 to create a call trace, then report it
to the phone carrier for investigation. They can ID it.
Susan
Would anything like that work If the caller ID reads all zeroes?
bj
There is a difference between caller ID and the "ANI" (which I think stands
for automatic number identification), however ANI's can also be spoofed.
Janet
2011-04-13 12:17:45 UTC
Post by Ellen K.
Post by Gary Woods
Post by Janet
Last time I asked them to remove the number from
their list. I believe that they are legally required to do so if
you tell them to. I hope.
That's true, but many of these outfits know enforcement will take
years, and they will have folded their tents and crept away by then.
We're already on the "do not call" list, but a lot of phone crooks
claim they're not selling anything and are exempt. My usual
response is, "So, you're ethically challenged. Why on earth would I
want to do business with you?" Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request,
or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic
If you are still getting commercial solicitations you can report the
offenders to the FCC.
And/or, invest in a nice police whistle and keep it by the phone. :)
At my home we only get political solicitations, and a very few charitable
ones. Those are bad enough. But my parents' # was a different story.
Eventually they listened to us and put themselves on the DNC list, which did
help. These diabetes people are a relatively new phenomenon.
John Williamson
2011-04-13 14:15:15 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Ellen K.
Post by Gary Woods
Post by Janet
[...]
Two advantages of being in Britain, I suppose. our Telephone Preference
Service works pretty well, to the point where just asking for the
person's manager and mentioning casually that you've signed up normally
leads to a very quick return to the dial tone, and *nobody* can beat the
price I pay for my diabetic supples. As a diabetic on medication *all*
prescription drugs come free, even stuff not even remotely related to
diabetes.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Brian Gregory [UK]
2011-04-15 21:29:14 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Janet
Post by Ellen K.
Post by Gary Woods
Post by Janet
[...]
TPS doesn't work for us at all. We regularly get calls, mostly from India,
claiming they are Microsoft or calling on behalf of Microsoft and that they
have detected a nasty fault/virus/trojan on our computer. If we let them
they will talk us through bringing up something such as the event viewer in
Windows that they can use to make the average non technical person believe
there really is something badly wrong with their computer and offer to fix
it for a large fee.
--
Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
***@bgdsv.co.uk
To email me remove the letter vee.
John Williamson
2011-04-15 23:46:45 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory [UK]
Post by John Williamson
Post by Janet
Post by Ellen K.
Post by Gary Woods
Post by Janet
[...]
I've heard of those, but very rarely suffer them, as my landline is
automatically answered by the fax machine, and totally ignored
otherwise. If I want to speak to you, you know my mobile number, or one
of them, at any rate. Probably the one that gets turned off when I'm not
at work.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Brian Gregory [UK]
2011-04-16 14:13:15 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Brian Gregory [UK]
Post by John Williamson
Post by Janet
Post by Ellen K.
Post by Gary Woods
Post by Janet
[...]
We get them 3 or 4 times a week and about the same number of assorted other
cons and some dead silence.
Ellen K.
2011-04-12 20:36:04 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Gary Woods
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said,
"She's dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the
Diabetes Network, and that they took good care of senior citizens who
were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time
asking for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?
I believe that the same people have been calling at my parents' house (and
I, not a resident, am the only diabetic in the family). I say we are not
interested, and hang up. Last time I asked them to remove the number from
their list. I believe that they are legally required to do so if you tell
them to. I hope.
Actually in the US you can sign up for the federal do not call list and then
it's ILLEGAL to call you with commercial solicitations. (Charitable and
political solicitations are still allowed.)
Gary Woods
2011-04-12 21:33:33 UTC
Post by Ellen K.
Actually in the US you can sign up for the federal do not call list and then
it's ILLEGAL to call you with commercial solicitations.
But as others have said, and I have experienced personally, the penalties
for violation are trivial. Many marketeers simply ignore the do not call
list.

Susan
2011-04-12 21:46:52 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Ellen K.
Actually in the US you can sign up for the federal do not call list and
then it's ILLEGAL to call you with commercial solicitations. (Charitable
and political solicitations are still allowed.)
All of our numbers, cell and landline, have been on the do not call
registry for years. We're also opted out on the direct mail marketing
preferences list. I only allow catalogs, love catalogs.

Susan
Julie Bove
2011-04-12 22:07:35 UTC
Post by Susan
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Ellen K.
Actually in the US you can sign up for the federal do not call list and
then it's ILLEGAL to call you with commercial solicitations. (Charitable
and political solicitations are still allowed.)
All of our numbers, cell and landline, have been on the do not call
registry for years. We're also opted out on the direct mail marketing
preferences list. I only allow catalogs, love catalogs.
I HATE catalogs. I wish there was a way I could get rid of them all. They
go straight into the recycle bin. I can't even see a need for them any more
since almost always that same stuff is available online.
Harold Groot
2011-04-13 01:16:21 UTC
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:07:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Susan
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Ellen K.
Actually in the US you can sign up for the federal do not call list and
then it's ILLEGAL to call you with commercial solicitations. (Charitable
and political solicitations are still allowed.)
All of our numbers, cell and landline, have been on the do not call
registry for years. We're also opted out on the direct mail marketing
preferences list. I only allow catalogs, love catalogs.
I HATE catalogs. I wish there was a way I could get rid of them all. They
go straight into the recycle bin. I can't even see a need for them any more
since almost always that same stuff is available online.
It seems to me I've read about a list similar to the "Do Not Call"
that was set up for Catalogs. Perhaps it's part of that Direct Mail
Marketing Preferences List.

I'd suggest a bit of searching the web to see if you can locate it.
If you hate those catalogs so much, it would be worth your while.
%
2011-04-13 01:24:22 UTC
Post by Harold Groot
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:07:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Susan
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Ellen K.
[...]
yes make sure they know about you ,
then you'll get twice as many
Julie Bove
2011-04-13 01:33:21 UTC
Post by Harold Groot
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:07:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Susan
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Ellen K.
[...]
I did do that. I even paid money to stop with the mailings. And it seemed
to help for a little while, but then again I did it just before Christmas
and I think around that period of time they just always stop sending their
mailings for a while.

The problem is that I do a lot of mail order. And every time I receive my
order I get it with a catalog, plus some also come in the mail.

The only catalog I actually like to get is the Victoria's Secret clearance
one. They list clearance things in there that are not necessarily available
or not for that price on their website. You need to punch in the item
number if ordering online to get those deals. Now they may have changed
this since I lived in NY but that is how I used to have to order the
clearance things.

I think they are hurting for sales lately though. Normally I can't afford
their prices so only buy the clearance stuff. Once in a while I will pay
full price for their panties because they are the only ones that seem to fit
me properly. Normally they sell at 5 pairs for about $25. Costs more if
you buy just a single pair. But recently they had them on sale at 7 pairs
for the $25. I have never seen such a good price! So I ordered 7 pairs in
the colors I actually want. Normally I just have to make do with the
clearance stuff. I have several pairs of Christmas panties. Heh!
Wes Groleau
2011-04-13 03:01:55 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
I did do that. I even paid money to stop with the mailings. And it seemed
?!?

Any that came with a prepaid envelope, I sent back to them with a letter
explaining that I can no longer dispose of their trash for free.

Of course it doesn't always work (in fact, it usually doesn't), but
it helped a little. Helped a little more to include another copy the
next time with an invoice.
--
Wes Groleau

As a rule
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/BlindDog?itemid=4034
Julie Bove
I have never had a catalog that came with a pre-paid envelope.
Charly Coughran
2011-04-13 17:58:39 UTC
Post by Wes Groleau
Post by Julie Bove
I did do that. I even paid money to stop with the mailings. And it seemed
?!?
Any that came with a prepaid envelope, I sent back to them with a
letter explaining that I can no longer dispose of their trash for
free.
Of course it doesn't always work (in fact, it usually doesn't), but
it helped a little. Helped a little more to include another copy
the next time with an invoice.
It does work, it just requires time due to the nature of mass mailings
and mailing lists. I have been virtually junk mail free for 3 decades.
The following procedure will have no apparent effect for order 6
months, but by the end of a year or so you will be down to very
little. It relies on the principle that junk mail costs a few cents
in postage, but prepaid envelopes cost the recipient the full 1st
class rate plus a premium. Last time I knew, the premium was 5 cents
which means it costs at least 49 cents to the company. Basically, you
need to convince the mailing sub contractor that you are a crazy nut
and every time they send you something it will cost their customer
money and annoyance and it is worth your while to remove the addressee
from your list to keep your customers happy. They are not happy
paying 50 cents for no sale.

Every time you get a mailer with a prepaid return envelope, tear up
whatever was in it and the envelope and stuff it in the return
envelope. Be very careful not to tear up your name and address and
place that on the top of the pile of scrap. If there is room, you can
put other scrap in it as well since if you make 2 oz. it will cost
them twice as much.

If you get junk with a prepaid post card, write, "take me off your
list" and send it back.

I found that sorting out the junk mail started to change from an
annoyance to a small daily pleasure, but that may be just me.

It has been explained to me many, many times why this will not work.
On the other hand, I receive a very small amount of junk. Usually it
amounts to a couple pieces a month.

Every couple of years or so, my name and address will be discovered by
somebody and sold to junk mailers and I will receive a spike of junk
mail. I continue to follow my procedure and within a month or two it
goes back down to essentially 0.
--
-------
Charly Coughran
***@DELETE-TO-RESPOND-UCSD.EDU
outsider
2011-04-13 19:06:49 UTC
Post by Charly Coughran
It does work, it just requires time due to the nature of mass mailings
and mailing lists. I have been virtually junk mail free for 3 decades.
[...]

I personally don't find paper junk mail intrusive. The up side is that it
does make work in these times of so much unemployment, especially
for US Postal Service workers. Consider all the people, from forest
workers, paper mill employees, chemical (printing ink manufacturers,)
printing, envelope stuffers, management workers, sales people (both
the people selling to you as well as the bulk mail sales people) are
involved. I've probably missed some classifications.

There's some "junk mail" I've not only asked to receive, but fought
hard to get, because I'm outside their usual direct marketing area.
I do occasionally travel to their store and I like to know what they
have going on. I might even schedule a trip there if the deal is good
enough. One such item is a 6.5 HP horizontal shaft gasoline engine I
might go after at $85 off the usual price. That "junk mail" arrived today.

I get rid of paper junk mail that I don't want to read easily enough.
Julie Bove
2011-04-13 22:02:36 UTC
Post by Charly Coughran
Post by Wes Groleau
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
I don't even know what a mailer with a pre-paid envelope is. I don't think
I get those.
Tiger Lily
2011-04-14 14:41:06 UTC
Post by Wes Groleau
I did do that. I even paid money to stop with the mailings. And it seemed
?!?
Any that came with a prepaid envelope, I sent back to them with a letter
explaining that I can no longer dispose of their trash for free.
Of course it doesn't always work (in fact, it usually doesn't), but
it helped a little. Helped a little more to include another copy the
next time with an invoice.
if they don't have a prepaid envelope (catalogues and such) i mark

"Return to Sender" "unknown person"

ESPECIALLY if the junk is mailed to "Current Resident"

Wes Groleau
2011-04-15 02:12:06 UTC
Post by Tiger Lily
if they don't have a prepaid envelope (catalogues and such) i mark
"Return to Sender" "unknown person"
ESPECIALLY if the junk is mailed to "Current Resident"
In USA, that only works for First Class. Anything else,
a laid-back postman will throw it away--a stressed out postman
will circle the words "std pre-sort" and put it right back
in your mailbox. :-)
--
Wes Groleau

It’s the Law!
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=93
Julie Bove
2011-04-15 02:15:42 UTC
Post by Wes Groleau
Post by Tiger Lily
if they don't have a prepaid envelope (catalogues and such) i mark
"Return to Sender" "unknown person"
ESPECIALLY if the junk is mailed to "Current Resident"
In USA, that only works for First Class. Anything else,
a laid-back postman will throw it away--a stressed out postman
will circle the words "std pre-sort" and put it right back
in your mailbox. :-)
When I got my first apartment I had a very lazy mail person. We had these
little mailboxes with keys to open them. He would dump all the coupons and
other mailings that should have gone to all residents in my mailbox.

This worked out quite well for my roommate and I when they opened a new Jack
In The Box down the street. We didn't have much money for food in those
days and the coupons were either for free items or B1G1F. We ate there
every night for a couple of weeks. Got so sick of that food we didn't go
back for a very long time!
Ellen K.
It's from the Direct Mail Association.
Julie Bove
Thanks!
Julie Bove
2011-04-12 19:59:53 UTC
Post by Gary Woods
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said, "She's
dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the Diabetes Network,
and that they took good care of senior citizens who were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time asking
for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?
I don't know if this applies to you or not. My dad said he was doing
something online (I can't remember what) and something popped up asking him
about his interests. He has been warned repeatedly by my brother and also
by me (but since my brother is a programmer his word seems to count more
with my parents) not to click on any things that pop up or on banner ads.
But...

My dad thought something like... I have a few minutes. I'll do it! So he
began answering some questions and he put down that he was interested in
diabetes. Not only did he give these people his email address, but his
snail mail address and his phone number! Now he is getting daily things.
Emails, phone calls (sometimes more than one call per day) and snail mails.
They are trying to sell him diabetic supplies. He can't seem to get them to
stop.

Is my mom happy? No. She is not.
Wes Groleau
2011-04-13 02:53:54 UTC
On 04-12-2011 15:45, Gary Woods wrote:

I ask them to hang on a moment and set the phone down
and ignore it until the off-hook alarm sounds.

If it's a recording, same except I don't have to say anything.

In some exchanges, they can't use that line until I hang up.

(Used to do that but now I don't have wire. Making such calls
to a cellphone is illegal and I do report the few I get.
--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable.
— John F. Kennedy
Freckles
2011-04-15 14:54:10 UTC
Post by Gary Woods
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said, "She's
dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the Diabetes Network,
and that they took good care of senior citizens who were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time asking
for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic
Get caller I.D. and just don't answer any calls from unknown or unwanted
callers.

Freckles
outsider
2011-04-15 16:01:09 UTC
I'd bet you hate the "jack-in-the-box" too! :-)
Brian Gregory [UK]
2011-04-15 21:21:13 UTC
Post by Gary Woods
Woman with Indian accent called, asked for my wife. Dear Lady said, "She's
dead." They asked for me by name; said they were from the Diabetes Network,
and that they took good care of senior citizens who were diabetics.
Asked them to send something in the mail, that I reacted poorly to
telephone solicitations. They started to protest as I hung up.
Got another call a minute later; same woman, same accent, this time asking
for me by name. Told her she'd just called and hung up.
So, what's the scam this time?
I would think they're trying to get you to donate money thinking you are
donating to a diabetes charity or similar, when in fact they are just a
crooked call centre somewhere in Asia who have nothing to do with diabetes
or anything except stealing money from the gullible.