Found a better host than Groups
Donna Gettings Apperson
2017-07-07 00:18:27 UTC
Now to figure out how to set it up. Got a setup called Newshosting. I haven't had time to play with it, but I do think it has filtering, which is a good thing.

I go for my fasting blood work tomorrow, including A1c (which doesn't have to be fasting, but oh well). I suspect it won't be so great. Today, I started walking again. It's too hot to walk late in the day, but there's no reason I can't walk in the mornings, right?
Don Roberto
2017-07-07 02:12:48 UTC
Post by Donna Gettings Apperson
Now to figure out how to set it up. Got a setup called Newshosting. I haven't had time to play with it, but I do think it has filtering, which is a good thing.
I go for my fasting blood work tomorrow, including A1c (which doesn't have to be fasting, but oh well).
*And* you gave away what some of your other tests are.
Pretty soon we'll know EVERYTHING about you ;-)

How do you define "walking"?
Henry Mydlarz
2017-07-07 06:46:01 UTC
Post by Don Roberto
Post by Donna Gettings Apperson
Now to figure out how to set it up. Got a setup called Newshosting. I
haven't had time to play with it, but I do think it has filtering, which
is a good thing.
I go for my fasting blood work tomorrow, including A1c (which doesn't
have to be fasting, but oh well).
*And* you gave away what some of your other tests are.
Pretty soon we'll know EVERYTHING about you ;-)
I suspect it won't be so great. Today, I started walking again. It's too
hot to walk late in the day, but there's no reason I can't walk in the
mornings, right?
How do you define "walking"?
I can't walk fast due to a bad ankle. I find no amount of standard walking
(as in strolling) will work off a high bg. When I was diagnosed, my diabetic
nurse told me that any exercise has to be "vigorous" - the sort that makes
you sweat.

I also found that any exercise in the morning has no short term effect on on
my bg.

Henry
Don Roberto
2017-07-07 13:17:30 UTC
Post by Henry Mydlarz
Post by Don Roberto
Post by Donna Gettings Apperson
Now to figure out how to set it up. Got a setup called Newshosting. I
haven't had time to play with it, but I do think it has filtering, which
is a good thing.
I go for my fasting blood work tomorrow, including A1c (which doesn't
have to be fasting, but oh well).
*And* you gave away what some of your other tests are.
Pretty soon we'll know EVERYTHING about you ;-)
I suspect it won't be so great. Today, I started walking again. It's too
hot to walk late in the day, but there's no reason I can't walk in the
mornings, right?
How do you define "walking"?
I can't walk fast due to a bad ankle.
Then walking definitely shouldn't be (one of) your main way to exercise.
You seem to like swimming - surely there are other pools within reach
besides the one you can no longer use.
Otherwise - learn how to walk on your hands
It's easy
once you get the hang of it...
Of course, if you have a bad wrist to match your bad ankle...

Why do you care as long as there's no *bad* "short term effect"?
Henry Mydlarz
2017-07-07 23:15:02 UTC
Post by Don Roberto
http://photos.demandstudios.com/getty/article/56/18/82152538_XS.jpg
Post by Henry Mydlarz
(as in strolling) will work off a high bg. When I was diagnosed, my diabetic
nurse told me that any exercise has to be "vigorous" - the sort that makes
you sweat.
I also found that any exercise in the morning has no short term effect on on
my bg.
Why do you care as long as there's no *bad* "short term effect"?
*Exactly*! I expected bg rises from liver dumps in the morning. When they
didn't happen, I did think "what do I care" and kept on doing morning swims.
The pool which is under maintenance is close to me. I am too lazy to drive
further.

Henry
Clay
A "liver dump" is not an excuse for skipping exercise.
Clay
2017-07-08 18:55:50 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 16:46:01 +1000, "Henry Mydlarz"
Post by Henry Mydlarz
I can't walk fast due to a bad ankle. I find no amount of standard walking
(as in strolling) will work off a high bg. When I was diagnosed, my diabetic
nurse told me that any exercise has to be "vigorous" - the sort that makes
you sweat.
Walking at a brisk stroke for at least 30 minutes, preferrably longer,
works well for me.
Post by Henry Mydlarz
I also found that any exercise in the morning has no short term effect on on
my bg.
Morning exercise has a very good short term effect for me.

Your T2DM must be severe.
Were you a cigarette smoker?
Henry Mydlarz
2017-07-09 10:32:16 UTC
Post by Henry Mydlarz
I also found that any exercise in the morning has no short term effect on on
my bg.
Morning exercise has a very good short term effect for me.
Your T2DM must be severe.
Were you a cigarette smoker?
My problem is, I believe, that I had diabetes for a long time - well before
I had my first bg test and was diagnosed.

I took a puff of a cigarette when I was 7. That's also when I "gave it up"

Henry
Clay
2017-07-09 17:01:07 UTC
Post by Henry Mydlarz
I also found that any exercise in the morning has no short term effect on on
my bg.
Morning exercise has a very good short term effect for me.
Your T2DM must be severe.
Were you a cigarette smoker?
My problem is, I believe, that I had diabetes for a long time - well before
I had my first bg test and was diagnosed.
Keep exercising vigorously, in ways that avoids stress on the ankle.
Swimming and biking, I'd imagine, are your mainstays.
Hope your ankle mends.
That's a good thing.
Francher
2017-07-09 17:36:27 UTC
Post by Henry Mydlarz
Post by Clay
Morning exercise has a very good short term effect for me.
Your T2DM must be severe.
Were you a cigarette smoker?
My problem is, I believe, that I had diabetes for a long time - well before
I had my first bg test and was diagnosed.
I took a puff of a cigarette when I was 7. That's also when I "gave it up"
Henry
Me too Henry,
I smoked my first cigarette when I was 17, a little later than you. I
got sick. I did not try that again. Later in the US Navy I was forced to
smoke a cigarette because I was the only one not smoking. They thought I
was trying to be better than they were. I got sick again. So, two
cigarettes in my life. Vomiting was not worth being "cool". Glad to see
it is no longer cool.

I think I had diabetes a few years before I first tested myself. My wife
had a meter and I decided to test myself. I decided the meter was
broken. I spent about 10 days in denial. Went and got an oral glucose
test and flunked. Been on a low carb diet ever since. Of course defining
a low carb diet glow goes all the way from just eliminating sugar to
eating zero carbs. My wife did zero carbs for several months. Her health
improved so much she had to be strongly encourage to eat even a green
vegetable. She did not want not want to ever go back to having so many
horrible complications. We thought her eyes would never improve until a
surgeon fixed them for her. Now she has no complications.
Clay
2017-07-09 17:48:59 UTC
Post by Francher
Post by Henry Mydlarz
Post by Clay
Morning exercise has a very good short term effect for me.
Your T2DM must be severe.
Were you a cigarette smoker?
My problem is, I believe, that I had diabetes for a long time - well before
I had my first bg test and was diagnosed.
I took a puff of a cigarette when I was 7. That's also when I "gave it up"
Me too Henry,
I smoked my first cigarette when I was 17, a little later than you. I
got sick. I did not try that again. Later in the US Navy I was forced to
smoke a cigarette because I was the only one not smoking.
I had the impression that you were a Canadian.
Post by Francher
They thought I was trying to be better than they were. I got sick again.
So, two cigarettes in my life. Vomiting was not worth being "cool".
Glad to see it is no longer cool.
I attempted tobacco cigarettes. Never had much appeal.

Those whom I've known who lived through WWII as young adults were just
the opposite. They appeared to thrive on cigarettes without filters.
Post by Francher
I think I had diabetes a few years before I first tested myself. My wife
had a meter and I decided to test myself. I decided the meter was
broken. I spent about 10 days in denial. Went and got an oral glucose
test and flunked. Been on a low carb diet ever since.
Good for you!

Carbs must be addictive.

/quote
We CRAVE carbs, not because we are weak, but because our brain tells
us to eat them. We are tired, can’t focus/concentrate, feel depressed
and melancholy because our blood sugar is roller coastering between
high and low.
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2012/02/the-real-source-of-carb-addiction/
Francher
2017-07-09 18:22:45 UTC
Post by Clay
Post by Francher
Post by Henry Mydlarz
Post by Clay
Morning exercise has a very good short term effect for me.
Your T2DM must be severe.
Were you a cigarette smoker?
My problem is, I believe, that I had diabetes for a long time - well before
I had my first bg test and was diagnosed.
I took a puff of a cigarette when I was 7. That's also when I "gave it up"
Me too Henry,
I smoked my first cigarette when I was 17, a little later than you. I
got sick. I did not try that again. Later in the US Navy I was forced to
smoke a cigarette because I was the only one not smoking.
I had the impression that you were a Canadian.
I joined the US Navy to gain US citizenship. It was considered the thing
to do at the time. I do not regret it at all. The US Navy taught me a
lot of skills. I don't know if the US military still offers this
benefit. At the time, there were many nationalities using military
service to gain citizenship. The only requirement was education and
fluent English. I noticed some were not quite so fluent, but were
quickly learning. I think this is a good way to gain citizenship in a
country of your choosing. You provide service for them and get something
in return. I was even entitled to veterans benefits if I bought a house
in the US. My favourite place to live was Paris in the early sixties. I
don't think I would like it so much now. During part of my service I
worked for an officer at the American embassy. I lived in a modest
apartment in Pigalle. I really like their culture. That officer was very
nice to me. It produced what was probably the best state of morale
possible. I wanted my work for him to make him look good. He was either
a natural leader or just brilliant. Unfortunately he was the exception
to the rule for talent in the officer corps. I think that state of
morale helped get me promoted. My officer was of course helpful in that.
Post by Francher
I think I had diabetes a few years before I first tested myself. My wife
had a meter and I decided to test myself. I decided the meter was
broken. I spent about 10 days in denial. Went and got an oral glucose
test and flunked. Been on a low carb diet ever since.
Good for you!
Carbs must be addictive.
/quote
We CRAVE carbs, not because we are weak, but because our brain tells
us to eat them. We are tired, can’t focus/concentrate, feel depressed
and melancholy because our blood sugar is roller coastering between
high and low.
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2012/02/the-real-source-of-carb-addiction/
I always considered my craving for carbs a weakness. I don't know if
blaming my brain makes me feel any better about it. My wife tells me I
seem to thrive on guilt.
Cheri
2017-07-09 19:42:30 UTC
Post by Francher
I think I had diabetes a few years before I first tested myself. My wife
had a meter and I decided to test myself. I decided the meter was broken.
I spent about 10 days in denial. Went and got an oral glucose test and
flunked. Been on a low carb diet ever since. Of course defining a low carb
diet glow goes all the way from just eliminating sugar to eating zero
carbs. My wife did zero carbs for several months. Her health improved so
much she had to be strongly encourage to eat even a green vegetable. She
did not want not want to ever go back to having so many horrible
complications. We thought her eyes would never improve until a surgeon
fixed them for her. Now she has no complications.
I've had doctors tell me that it's not unusual for some to have it for 10
years or more before being diagnosed, usually after they have started having
symptoms which can take many years to come to light. I think they are
testing for it much more quickly now then they used to.

Cheri

Type 2 and counting
2017-07-08 20:11:25 UTC
Post by Henry Mydlarz
I can't walk fast due to a bad ankle. I find no amount of standard walking
(as in strolling) will work off a high bg. When I was diagnosed, my diabetic
nurse told me that any exercise has to be "vigorous" - the sort that makes
you sweat. ....
I've found that a hot bath will help to lower my bg numbers. At
least 108° F. or a bit warmer for 20 to 30 minutes does it. Maybe
you could try that when you can't get the walk in.

HTH & YMMV.

Type 2 and counting
Henry Mydlarz
2017-07-09 10:35:24 UTC
Thanks for that! One poster here described Type 2 diabetes as an
"intolerance of carbohydrates" That is me. I prefer to go low on carbs than
worry about how to work them off.

Also, in answer to Clay's earlier post, yes I do believe that ANY exercise
is beneficial, even if it doesn't work off bg in the short term.

Henry
Clay
2017-07-09 17:37:48 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 20:35:24 +1000, "Henry Mydlarz"
Post by Henry Mydlarz
I can't walk fast due to a bad ankle. I find no amount of standard
walking (as in strolling) will work off a high bg. When I was diagnosed, my
diabetic nurse told me that any exercise has to be "vigorous" - the sort that
makes you sweat. ....
I've found that a hot bath will help to lower my bg numbers. At
least 108° F. or a bit warmer for 20 to 30 minutes does it. Maybe
you could try that when you can't get the walk in.
Thanks for that! One poster here described Type 2 diabetes as an
"intolerance of carbohydrates" That is me. I prefer to go low on carbs than
worry about how to work them off.
Also, in answer to Clay's earlier post, yes I do believe that ANY exercise
is beneficial, even if it doesn't work off bg in the short term.
How's your depression treating you lately?

Do you ever experience some relief after vigorous exercise?

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression#1
Charly Coughran
2017-07-08 19:11:36 UTC
Post by Donna Gettings Apperson
Now to figure out how to set it up. Got a setup called
Newshosting. I haven't had time to play with it, but I do
think it has filtering, which is a good thing.
I go for my fasting blood work tomorrow, including A1c
(which doesn't have to be fasting, but oh well). I suspect
it won't be so great. Today, I started walking again. It's
too hot to walk late in the day, but there's no reason I
can't walk in the mornings, right?
Just to improve your understanding of where you are, you are
communicating on the internet in a group which is a member of a
collection of groups in the tens of thousands. The overall
name for this collection, one of the first on the internet, is
USENET. I suspect that you started on Google Groups which is
one of many programs that gives you access to USENET's groups.
Google trys very hard to make it look like it is something they
created, but Google had nothing to do with its creation because
it postdates the internet by a decade or so. There are many,
many programs that can be used to access USNET, browsers, and
many, many, different places where the groups are stored like
Newshosting. Back in the day, almost all the hosts and
browsers were free, but in these days most hosts require
payment for browsers and/or access.

--
______________________
***@DELETE-TO-RESPOND-UCSD.EDU
Clay
2017-07-08 19:54:58 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 19:11:36 +0000 (UTC), Charly Coughran
Post by Charly Coughran
[...]
You sound like the voice of reason.
Please post here more often.
Henry Mydlarz
2017-07-09 10:37:07 UTC
Post by Charly Coughran
[...]
Charly has been the "voice of reason" here for decades. I always look
forward to his posts, as I have for all this time.

Henry
Henry Mydlarz
2017-07-09 10:37:47 UTC
Post by Charly Coughran
[...]
I've been using Giganews for a while now, their minimum usage account.

Henry