On the BG rollercoaster today!
Julie Bove
2004-01-06 19:12:47 UTC
I don't know what in the heck is going on today, but it's not fun.
Yesterday started out quite normal. Tested at 143 after lunch. This is a
bit high for me, but I did eat a new kind of corn chip for my lunch and I
simply chalked it up to eating one too many. I ate only 6 of them, but they
are larger than the blue corn chips that I normally eat 6 of. Checked my BG
before and after dinner, and everything was fine then.

As the evening went on, I began to get a headache that worsened in severity.
By the time I went to bed, the back of my neck hurt and also my forehead.
Neck and shoulders felt stiff. I very rarely get headaches. I chalked this
up to tension because my daughter was really getting on my nerves and seemed
to be making a career out of it. When I tucked her into bed, she said "I'm
sorry I was making such a pissy fit!" Hehe.

Took a hot shower and went to bed, thinking that the sleep would relax me
and the headache would go away. Not so! I woke up in more pain and with
more stiffness that had extended down my arms. The headache seemed to be
almost a migraine type because lights were bothering my eyes and my stomach
didn't feel too good. BG upon arising was 166! Haven't seen a number that
high in a while, with the exception of the few high numbers I had during the
worst of that recent sinus infection. Took two Ibuprofen along with my usual
meds.

Despite feeling so rotten, I was also hungrier than usual. Ate 3 Ryvita
crackers and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Probably 15 g of carb. I threw
away the cottage cheese container, but I think that's about right. Took
daughter to the bus and luckily caught a ride there and back with a neighbor
because I really didn't feel like walking.

Began to feel more unwell and more hungry as soon as I got back home.
Suspected that my BG might still be high based on how I felt, but when I
tested it, I was at 88! How I dropped that rapidly is beyond me. The only
thing I can figure is that the Ibuprofen took the pain away and that allowed
the numbers to drop.

Lunch was still 4 hours away. Ate one Hershey's kiss and a bit of green
salad with a few olives in it. That took the hunger away. Did a few chores
around the house and then took a nap. Now the left side of me feels fine,
but the right side is still all stiff and tense. Took two more Ibuprofen.
They haven't kicked in yet. Some days are just no fun!
--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/
gman99
2004-01-06 19:26:13 UTC
"Julie Bove" <***@bestweb.net> wrote:

Guess what....being a diabetic I would guess that 99% of us are on a BG
rollercoaster EVERY DAY !! That's kinda the definition of being diabetic !

Yes, I know some of you NEVER go over 7.0...but MOST of us do after MOST
meals, yet we still have A1c's under 6.0....wow...who would have thunk.
Bay Area Dave
2004-01-06 21:14:38 UTC
try MY rollercoaster, Jenny. The ride is thrilling! I can hit 320 and
55 the same day! Hold on, we're going down....!

dave
Gary Woods
2004-01-06 20:44:16 UTC
Post by Bay Area Dave
I can hit 320 and
55 the same day! Hold on, we're going down....
Everybody hold their arms up in the air....

Wheeeeeeee!

Bay Area Dave

Jmmbear
2004-01-07 03:07:17 UTC
Post by Gary Woods
Post by Bay Area Dave
I can hit 320 and
55 the same day! Hold on, we're going down....
Everybody hold their arms up in the air....
Wheeeeeeee!
Damn, no thank you.. I HATE rollercoasters... shudder..
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Julie Bove
2004-01-06 23:06:05 UTC
Post by Bay Area Dave
try MY rollercoaster, Jenny. The ride is thrilling! I can hit 320 and
55 the same day! Hold on, we're going down....!
Yikes! Wrong name, but I forgive you. I wouldn't want your rollercoaster.
Mine was bad enough. I guess I'm lucky that my BG is stable most of the
time.
Bay Area Dave
2004-01-07 02:16:15 UTC
Oh! Hey, at least I got the first letter right! a thousand pardons!
My recently deceased dog was named Jenny--she must have been on my mind
when I typed that last post...

dave
time.
Julie Bove
2004-01-06 23:04:43 UTC
Post by gman99
Guess what....being a diabetic I would guess that 99% of us are on a BG
rollercoaster EVERY DAY !! That's kinda the definition of being diabetic !
I don't think so. This is not typical for me and is not typical of many of
the diabetics I personally know.
Post by gman99
Yes, I know some of you NEVER go over 7.0...but MOST of us do after MOST
meals, yet we still have A1c's under 6.0....wow...who would have thunk.
Again, you are wrong.
Stephanie Kolban
2004-01-06 21:30:49 UTC
Julie,
Sorry you are having a rough time of it. It's not fun. It sounds like you
might be trying to get sick. My sugars always fluctuate wildly when I am.
(Being T1, they may swing from 50 to 500.)

Take care of yourself. I hope this ride ends soon for you.
Steph
Julie Bove
2004-01-06 23:10:24 UTC
Post by Stephanie Kolban
Julie,
Sorry you are having a rough time of it. It's not fun. It sounds like you
might be trying to get sick. My sugars always fluctuate wildly when I am.
(Being T1, they may swing from 50 to 500.)
Take care of yourself. I hope this ride ends soon for you.
The headache is gone now and the stiffness is almost all gone. My BG after
lunch was 94. That's a little low for me. But maybe I didn't eat enough
carbs. I ate 4 chips instead of 6. Will try 5 tomorrow. The only other
thing I can think of is that I started drinking lemon juice in water. I
heard this on the radio and it is supposed to make the body more alkaline
and therefore boost the immunity. I've been taking the juice of 1/2 a
lemon, 4 times a day in a large glass of water. I did look up lemons in a
book I have called "Foods that Heal" and it said they are beneficial for
blood problems and the pancreas. So perhaps this could be having an effect
on my BG.
NormC
2004-01-06 23:53:18 UTC
Post by Stephanie Kolban
might be trying to get sick. My sugars always fluctuate wildly when I am.
(Being T1, they may swing from 50 to 500.)
Take care of yourself. I hope this ride ends soon for you.
The headache is gone now and the stiffness is almost all gone. My BG after
lunch was 94. That's a little low for me. But maybe I didn't eat enough
carbs. I ate 4 chips instead of 6. Will try 5 tomorrow. The only other
thing I can think of is that I started drinking lemon juice in water. I
heard this on the radio and it is supposed to make the body more alkaline
and therefore boost the immunity. I've been taking the juice of 1/2 a
lemon, 4 times a day in a large glass of water. I did look up lemons in a
book I have called "Foods that Heal" and it said they are beneficial for
blood problems and the pancreas. So perhaps this could be having an effect
on my BG.
I love citrus juices and artificially sweetened citrus juice drinks. However,
urologist says they are the worst for the bladder. In this case he was talking
about any/every ones bladder, not just mine. Just his opinion.

My wife even got on me last night for drinking Crystal Light Royal Red and
Crystal Light Lemonade. I'm not even sure they have real juice in them. Just
can't win.
Jmmbear
2004-01-07 03:07:17 UTC
Post by NormC
My wife even got on me last night for drinking Crystal Light Royal Red and
Crystal Light Lemonade. I'm not even sure they have real juice in them.
Just
can't win.
Hey, Crystal Light lemonade is good.. So is the kiwi..
189/154/120
Julie Bove
2004-01-07 03:09:15 UTC
Post by NormC
urologist says they are the worst for the bladder. In this case he was talking
about any/every ones bladder, not just mine. Just his opinion.
I've never seen a urologist and haven't had any bladder problems aside from
a few infections as a child and a young adult. So long as I stay away from
the bubble bath, no problems!
Post by NormC
My wife even got on me last night for drinking Crystal Light Royal Red and
Crystal Light Lemonade. I'm not even sure they have real juice in them.
Just
Post by NormC
can't win.
No, they haven't got any real juice in them. What they do have is citric
acid and it is the acid I'm trying to cut down on. In checking, most of
what I've been consuming is an acid food or drink, and I think perhaps I
have too much acid buildup in my body. The lemon juice is alkaline. The
person who recommended this did not say to consume this much every day, but
for about two weeks to bring the body more into balance. After that,
drinking it twice a day is probably enough. I am on my second day now and
already, I feel much better. I feel more energetic and for some reason,
much lighter. I have no scale with which to weigh myself. So I don't know
about that. I've also noticed that in just this short amount of time, my
skin is clearing up. I've been suffering from an odd rash that my
dermatologist could not identify. It came on following some mosquito bites
and the spots never healed properly. They are almost gone now. No signs of
psoriasis or eczema either. Of course this could all be a fluke and just
wishful thinking on my part. But so far, everything I've read about
drinking fresh lemon juice in water appears to be helpful to most of the
medical conditions I have. So I'm going to keep trying it.
Annette
2004-01-07 12:19:23 UTC
Post by NormC
Post by NormC
I love citrus juices and artificially sweetened citrus juice
drinks.
Post by NormC
However,
Post by NormC
urologist says they are the worst for the bladder. In this case
he was
Post by NormC
talking
Post by NormC
drinking fresh lemon juice in water appears to be helpful to most of the
medical conditions I have. So I'm going to keep trying it.
--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/
Hi there Julie,

IMHO, it isn't the lemon juice that caused the problem, it was more
like something in those chips you ate. I inferred that they are not
the ones you usually eat.

It's hard to know with a commercial product just what might have
triggered those unpleasant reactions, it did sound a bit like a
monsodium glutimate reaction, but who knows? It could have been
just about anything in there.

I hope you've "chucked them" into the nearest suitable recepticle
for disposal, in any case.

Annette

---
Julie Bove
2004-01-07 13:07:22 UTC
Post by Annette
Hi there Julie,
IMHO, it isn't the lemon juice that caused the problem, it was more
like something in those chips you ate. I inferred that they are not
the ones you usually eat.
No, the chips are fine. No difference between them and the others except
that they are yellow corn, the others are blue corn. The other ingredients
are the same. Organic corn, no trans-fats. The carb count is different
only because the chips are different sizes. Obviously I ate one too many
chips on my first try. 6 was too many and 4 wasn't enough. Will try 5
today. Woke up to BG of 109 this morning! And BG was lower than usual
throughout the day yesterday. I am beginning to think that the lemon juice
is really helping. I've been drinking a large bottle of purified water
(about 16 oz.) with half a lemon squeezed into it and also about 1/4 of a
lime as well. I include the pulp in there. I am feeling a marked increase
in energy and honestly my entire body feels much lighter. Hard to explain
really, but I'm feeling much better than I have in years!
Post by Annette
It's hard to know with a commercial product just what might have
triggered those unpleasant reactions, it did sound a bit like a
monsodium glutimate reaction, but who knows? It could have been
just about anything in there.
I don't eat MSG, but I also don't think it bothers me. I remember eating a
lot of it as a child. I found some in the cupboard and noticed that it said
it improved the flavor of many foods. My friend and I spent countless hours
experimenting with it, tasting foods without it, then adding it to see if it
tasted better. We noted that it didn't do much to plain water.

I read all my food labels and try not to buy anything with yucky stuff in it
unless I have no other choice. Sometimes I have no other choice if I am
traveling or away from home. It could also be that I had been starting to
come down with it and the lemon juice I drank knocked out whatever it was
before it got to me. This is one reason why I decided to try it. My
daughter and I keep getting respiratory problems. The Dr. said they are
related to allergies, but we get susequent infections and I really don't
need any more of those.
Post by Annette
I hope you've "chucked them" into the nearest suitable recepticle
for disposal, in any case.
No. I have two bags of them and will continue to eat them. But when I buy
chips again, I will look for some that have smaller sized chips. Less
chance of overeating that way. It looks like many of the chip manufacturers
here are eliminating the trans-fats and going with organic products, at
least with the corn chips. Hopefully this will catch on with other products
as well.
NormC
2004-01-07 19:19:32 UTC
Post by NormC
Post by NormC
Post by NormC
I love citrus juices and artificially sweetened citrus juice
drinks.
Post by NormC
However,
Post by NormC
urologist says they are the worst for the bladder. In this case
he was
Post by NormC
talking
Post by NormC
a few infections as a child and a young adult. So long as I stay
away from
Post by NormC
the bubble bath, no problems!
Post by NormC
Post by NormC
Crystal Light Lemonade. I'm not even sure they have real juice
in them.
Post by NormC
Just
Post by NormC
medical conditions I have. So I'm going to keep trying it.
--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/
Hi there Julie,
IMHO, it isn't the lemon juice that caused the problem, it was more
like something in those chips you ate. I inferred that they are not
the ones you usually eat.
It's hard to know with a commercial product just what might have
triggered those unpleasant reactions, it did sound a bit like a
monsodium glutimate reaction, but who knows?
I'll sure buy this possibility. My rule of thumb with MSG is, if it tastes
unusually good, it probably contains MSG (flavor enhancer). This includes
Chinese Restaurants that I am not familiar with, who say they don't use it.
(I've become a cynic <g>.)
John38
2004-01-07 17:52:17 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
No, they haven't got any real juice in them. What they do have is citric
acid and it is the acid I'm trying to cut down on. In checking, most of
what I've been consuming is an acid food or drink, and I think perhaps I
have too much acid buildup in my body. The lemon juice is alkaline. The
Lemon juice is *not* alkaline. It contains citric acid (as do all citrus
fruits), and is acidic.
--
John38 - t2 or LADA? : ***@11/2003 : fbg @DX=13.6mmol/l : fbg now=6.7mmol/l
glimepiride 6mg : aspirin 100mg : fish oil : low carb : exercise
BGs gradually coming into control : Weekly avg=9.21mmol/l : BMI=24
Julie Bove
2004-01-07 18:47:26 UTC
Post by John38
Lemon juice is *not* alkaline. It contains citric acid (as do all citrus
fruits), and is acidic.
I stand corrected on the citric acid thing. I have checked several sources
and citric acid is listed as alkaline. Why it is not called citric alkaline
is beyond me. The problem with stuff like Crystal Light is that they add
sweeteners to it and almost all sweeteners is acid based. Not that the acid
is bad, mind you. I am just experimenting and trying to increase the
alkaline components of my diet.
NormC
2004-01-07 21:52:08 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by John38
Lemon juice is *not* alkaline. It contains citric acid (as do all citrus
fruits), and is acidic.
I stand corrected on the citric acid thing. I have checked several sources
and citric acid is listed as alkaline. Why it is not called citric alkaline
is beyond me. The problem with stuff like Crystal Light is that they add
sweeteners to it and almost all sweeteners is acid based.
Splenda is sugar based, is it not? So, what is it? Acidic or alkaline?
Julie Bove
2004-01-08 03:05:40 UTC
Post by NormC
Post by Julie Bove
I stand corrected on the citric acid thing. I have checked several sources
and citric acid is listed as alkaline. Why it is not called citric alkaline
is beyond me. The problem with stuff like Crystal Light is that they add
sweeteners to it and almost all sweeteners is acid based.
Splenda is sugar based, is it not? So, what is it? Acidic or alkaline?
I don't have my list right in front of me, but if I remember correctly, all
sweeteners, including the artificial ones are acid based, with the exception
of honey and stevia. That's if you want to call stevia a sweetener, and I
do not. That may well be why you see so many extremist health nuts pushing
the use of those two things as opposed to other sweeteners. In my opinion,
both have too many drawbacks for me to use them. I guess some people have
no qualms with honey so long as it is pasturized. But I was listening to
another radio show last night about nutrition and the host mentioned honey.
He said "Why do people think it's so good for you? It's bee vomit!"
Ppppppptooey!

Fawnhawk
2004-01-07 23:36:22 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
I stand corrected on the citric acid thing. I have checked several sources
and citric acid is listed as alkaline. Why it is not called citric alkaline
is beyond me. The problem with stuff like Crystal Light is that they add
sweeteners to it and almost all sweeteners is acid based. Not that the acid
is bad, mind you. I am just experimenting and trying to increase the
alkaline components of my diet.
What does the alkaline do for the body?

Fawnhawk
Julie Bove
2004-01-08 03:20:59 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
is bad, mind you. I am just experimenting and trying to increase the
alkaline components of my diet.
What does the alkaline do for the body?
I'm no expert on this and I don't even know if this stuff is really true or
just the stuff spouted by nutcakes. But I thought I would give it a try
since these two guys were talking about it on the radio and they said too
much acid in the body can cause or exacerbate a whole host of problems
including lowered immunity to stuff like colds and flu, eczema, lack of
energy, arthritis, fibromyalia, thyroid problems, anemia, malabsorbtion of
other vitamins and minerals, and some other things that I don't remember.

I also have a book called "Foods That Heal", written by Dr. Bernard Jensen.
I don't know if it's still in print. I bought it many years ago. It says
that the optimum pH range level for the body is 7.35 to 7.45, which is very
close to neutral, favoring the alkaline side. It also goes on to say that
if the body is too acidic, various chemical elements are drawn from the
tissues, and since these must be replaced, deficiencies will occur, soon
followed by disease symptoms. And it says that diets that are too alkaline
are harmful in the long run. So for that reason, I am making no other
changes in my diet except to add the lemon and lime juice and drink this
water juice combo in place of some of the soda I've been drinking.

There is a lot more spelled out in the book, including a list of many foods
and the explanation of why they are good or not good for you and what they
can do for you. It's a very interesting book. I remember right after I got
it, a friend complained to me that his knees started creaking. I told him
that the book recommended that he eat more celery. He did and within a
couple of weeks, the creaking stopped.
John38
2004-01-08 11:05:32 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by John38
Lemon juice is *not* alkaline. It contains citric acid (as do all citrus
fruits), and is acidic.
I stand corrected on the citric acid thing. I have checked several sources
and citric acid is listed as alkaline. Why it is not called citric alkaline
is beyond me. The problem with stuff like Crystal Light is that they add
sweeteners to it and almost all sweeteners is acid based. Not that the acid
is bad, mind you. I am just experimenting and trying to increase the
alkaline components of my diet.
I can't think of specifically alkaline foods apart from milk (but even
with milk, it is not 'especially' alkaline. The body naturally keeps its
pH in a very narrow range. There are all kinds of 'buffers' in the blood
that help it to do this. Varying the pH of blood outside of its normal
range causes profound effects because it alters its electrochemistry and
electrical environment will also alter the shape of some enzymes (they
won't work). These are just 2 effects, I am sure there are many more.
This is why states such as uncontrolled acidosis of the blood
(where normal bodily controls don't work) is a medical emergency.

I'm just wondering why you are trying to increase alkaline components of
your diet (just interested, that's all). Have you a URL citing citric
acid as alkaline?

cheers
Julie Bove
2004-01-08 14:31:31 UTC
Post by John38
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
Here is one of the most inclusive lists, but it doesn't include citric acid.

http://www.houseofsteed.com/sons/balance.htm

And another link that tells you everything you need to know about citric
acid. But it doesn't say that it is alkaline.

http://www.apacchemical.com/CitricAcid.htm

Perhaps it is in fact not alkaline, but lemon juice and lime juice are
alkaline foods when ingested.
Joe Zeff
2004-01-08 22:35:30 UTC
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:31:31 -0500, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
Perhaps it is in fact not alkaline, but lemon juice and lime juice are
alkaline foods when ingested.
Here's a test: get a standard red shop-rag, and put some lemon or lime
juice on it. It will turn blue, because the red dye is litmus so that
a mechanic can see if the "water" he just wiped up is really battery
acid.
--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
Julie Bove
2004-01-08 23:24:43 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Perhaps it is in fact not alkaline, but lemon juice and lime juice are
alkaline foods when ingested.
Here's a test: get a standard red shop-rag, and put some lemon or lime
juice on it. It will turn blue, because the red dye is litmus so that
a mechanic can see if the "water" he just wiped up is really battery
acid.
I didn't know that. My brother in law is a mechanic. I'll see if I can get
one from him next time I visit.
Joe Zeff
2004-01-09 00:39:01 UTC
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:24:43 -0500, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
I didn't know that. My brother in law is a mechanic. I'll see if I can get
one from him next time I visit.
I learned that from a friend of mine. If you've read the right books,
he's the real Mark Czescu and Harry Reddington among others. Neat
guy, with a black belt in barstool in Jerry Pournelle's words. Just
go into any parts shop and buy some shop rags, they're not exactly
expensive, and are good to keep in your car for emergencies.
--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
John38
2004-01-09 08:48:20 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by John38
I'm just wondering why you are trying to increase alkaline components of
your diet (just interested, that's all). Have you a URL citing citric
acid as alkaline?
Here is one of the most inclusive lists, but it doesn't include citric acid.
http://www.houseofsteed.com/sons/balance.htm
And another link that tells you everything you need to know about citric
acid. But it doesn't say that it is alkaline.
http://www.apacchemical.com/CitricAcid.htm
This is unsurprising considering that citric acid is, in fact, an acid.
Post by Julie Bove
Perhaps it is in fact not alkaline, but lemon juice and lime juice are
alkaline foods when ingested.
There is no "perhaps" about it.

I think you may be getting relative and absolute terms confused with
regards to acidity/alkalinity. When people talk about acidity/alkalinity
(they normally talk about it in terms of pH) they are expressing it as
relative to pH7 (neutral). Acidic things have a pH of less than 7 and
alkaline things a pH of greater than 7. (pH is also a function of
concentration). A molar concentration of citric acid has a pH of 3.5,
see http://www.hamptonresearch.com/hrproducts/2757.html and as you can
see, is strongly acidic.

Relatively, citric acid is alkaline compared to equimolar concentration
of hydrochloric acid (the acid present in the stomach). However your
statement that lemon/lime juice are alkaline foods once ingested is
still nonsensical, because *everything* ingested is alkaline relative to
hydrochloric acid.
NormC
2004-01-06 21:45:29 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

The one thing I got out of your post is that even though your 'not feeling well'
seemed to be indicative of high bg, it may have been in the beginning (143), but
it clearly wasn't so at the end (88).

So that raises the question for me: Is there really any way to know if your bgs
go high because you don't feel good to begin with, or you don't feel good
because your bgs were high?

This is not the first time I have raised this general issue, because the only
time I am aware I have diabetes is when I go too low. When I do, I get shaky
and it's impossible to control the mouse pointer on my trackball.

As posted previously, I had a 400 a couple months ago, determined in a quarterly
onocological lab blood test. I felt perfect.

With regard to vision, although I've never experienced the obvious problem, I
may have experienced a part of it. However, my opthamologist has spoken about
the importance of having good bg control at the time of refraction.

In addition, my neuropsychiatrist/psychopharmacoloigst (treating my long term
cognitive deficits) has indicated the importance of good bg control during the
period that I want to talk to him about my cognition problems.

It becomes even more complicated as a result of having obstructional sleep
apnea, since lack of 'quality sleep' can result in many, many system problems,
some of which are the same as diabetes. Some of these are frequent night time
urination, enlarged heart, congestive heart failure, stroke, and plain old heart
attack.

While I was reading alt.support.sleep-disorder, there appeared to be an
indication of an increasing number of people with diabetes AND sleep apnea. So,
as I've been reading here, I've been trying to see if there was anything I could
pick up on, but nothing except some of the system problems being similar.

However, since 'quality sleep' is required for proper body system healing, if
there is anyone here who feels like crap after a reasonable night's sleep, and
they're blaming it on diabetes alone, I suggest they investigate the possibiliy
of not getting quality sleep.

And a special note to the women here. Many women, including friends of ours,
always have an excuse for not sleeping well, waking up to urinate, etc. Mostly,
it's a hormonal excuse, especially the women over 55 or 60.

I've talked to both my neurologist diplomated sleep doc and my urologist about
this matter. Here's what they have had to say. Awakening to urinate can be a
weakened bladder problem (from untreated diabetes or an enlarged prostate, per
the urologist, from untreated apnea or enlarged prostate per the sleep doc). My
nighttime awakening went from 3 or 4 to 1 with treatment for apnea.

Nighttime awakening is not a characteristic of 'getting old' per the sleep doc,
for either sex. The urologist says any male over 50 who wakes once to urinate
is normal.

Sorry for the long post, but the time seemed right to mention these things. I
am only aware of Tiger Lily, Sleepyman, and myself here with OSA. Are there others?
Stephanie Kolban
2004-01-06 22:07:38 UTC
Norm,
(snipped Julie's post for space.)
Post by NormC
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.
The one thing I got out of your post is that even though your 'not feeling well'
seemed to be indicative of high bg, it may have been in the beginning (143), but
it clearly wasn't so at the end (88).
So that raises the question for me: Is there really any way to know if your bgs
go high because you don't feel good to begin with, or you don't feel good
because your bgs were high?
I haven't really found that I feel one kind of bad for high sugars, and
another kind of bad for illness. (Unless, of course, I have a cold or cough
which is obvious!) In most cases, an illness will raise your sugars. That
being said, an illness can also lower your sugars. This can cause the
rollercoaster effect. As your body fights an infection, it puts stress on
the body which messes with your sugars. I imagine that in a T2s case, the
liver pushes out additional sugars to help the body fight. Then the
pancreas wakes up and pushes out more insulin, causing the ups and downs.
(I don't know this for sure, I am T1 and VERY ignorant as to the ins and
outs of T2.) When my sugars are high, I get dehydrated, lethargic, and
rather bubble headed. This also describes me with an illness. So, it is
always important to test and see which it may be. Often, my sugars will
tell me that an illness is coming before I have any other symptoms.
Post by NormC
This is not the first time I have raised this general issue, because the only
time I am aware I have diabetes is when I go too low. When I do, I get shaky
and it's impossible to control the mouse pointer on my trackball.
As posted previously, I had a 400 a couple months ago, determined in a quarterly
onocological lab blood test. I felt perfect.
It could be that you are rather accustomed to running high. If you normally
run high, then it would feel normal. If you don't normally run high, then
it is surprising that you wouldn't feel bad at 400.
Post by NormC
With regard to vision, although I've never experienced the obvious problem, I
may have experienced a part of it. However, my opthamologist has spoken about
the importance of having good bg control at the time of refraction.
High sugars will change the shape of your eyes. It will make most people a
little more near-sighted than at normal sugars. I'm far-sighted, so my
vision actually improves when I run high.
Post by NormC
In addition, my neuropsychiatrist/psychopharmacoloigst (treating my long term
cognitive deficits) has indicated the importance of good bg control during the
period that I want to talk to him about my cognition problems.
I imagine this is because most people feel fuzzy headed when their sugars
are high. I don't know, this is a guess only.

I snipped the rest of your post because I know nothing about sleep apnea.
It sounds like a bear to deal with, and I hope I never have to learn about
it.

I hope this helps.
Steph
Julie Bove
2004-01-06 23:22:55 UTC
Post by NormC
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.
The one thing I got out of your post is that even though your 'not feeling well'
seemed to be indicative of high bg, it may have been in the beginning (143), but
it clearly wasn't so at the end (88).
So that raises the question for me: Is there really any way to know if your bgs
go high because you don't feel good to begin with, or you don't feel good
because your bgs were high?
I can usually tell the difference because I have Neuropathy. I will get
those horrible pains in my feet if my BG is too high because of something
I've eaten that I shouldn't have. But when my BG goes high due to illness,
I often do not get such pains. At least not at first. If my BG remains
high for 2-3 days, then the pains might kick in. My BG has been so
consistant that any time it is too high (and I haven't made any dietary
changes), I suspect some sort of illness. My BG kept creeping higher and
higher while I debated whether or not I had a cold or a sinus infection.
After a week of slightly elevated BG, I decided to go to the Dr. It was a
sinus infection and it was caused by allergies. Not a cold.
Post by NormC
This is not the first time I have raised this general issue, because the only
time I am aware I have diabetes is when I go too low. When I do, I get shaky
and it's impossible to control the mouse pointer on my trackball.
I think I am more sensitive to feeling high numbers because of the
Neuropathy. I can get pains if my BG exceeds 150. My brother does not have
Neuropathy, yet he gets odd feeling if his BG goes high. He was talking to
me once and kept saying that he was feeling weird and kind of spacey. I
told him to check his BG and it was around 200. His normally runs around
80, most of the time.
Post by NormC
As posted previously, I had a 400 a couple months ago, determined in a quarterly
onocological lab blood test. I felt perfect.
I don't think I've ever had a number that high. But I know if your numbers
are running high for extended periods of time, your body gets used to the
feeling.
Post by NormC
With regard to vision, although I've never experienced the obvious problem, I
may have experienced a part of it. However, my opthamologist has spoken about
the importance of having good bg control at the time of refraction.
In addition, my neuropsychiatrist/psychopharmacoloigst (treating my long term
cognitive deficits) has indicated the importance of good bg control during the
period that I want to talk to him about my cognition problems.
It becomes even more complicated as a result of having obstructional sleep
apnea, since lack of 'quality sleep' can result in many, many system problems,
some of which are the same as diabetes. Some of these are frequent night time
urination, enlarged heart, congestive heart failure, stroke, and plain old heart
attack.
And some studies have indicated that a lack of adequate sleep can bring on
type 2 diabetes. That may well be. My brother has sleep apnea. My Dad is
to be tested for it. His Dr. suspects it. Both are type 2. I have never
slept well. Not even as an infant.
Post by NormC
While I was reading alt.support.sleep-disorder, there appeared to be an
indication of an increasing number of people with diabetes AND sleep apnea. So,
as I've been reading here, I've been trying to see if there was anything I could
pick up on, but nothing except some of the system problems being similar.
There were some links posted here a while back. Can't remember where they
were from. Possibly Medscape or Joslin.
Post by NormC
However, since 'quality sleep' is required for proper body system healing, if
there is anyone here who feels like crap after a reasonable night's sleep, and
they're blaming it on diabetes alone, I suggest they investigate the possibiliy
of not getting quality sleep.
I don't think I've had quality sleep yet! Just don't know why.
Post by NormC
it's a hormonal excuse, especially the women over 55 or 60.
Well, I have a few years to go before I can use that excuse. But I shall
keep it in mind.
Post by NormC
I've talked to both my neurologist diplomated sleep doc and my urologist about
this matter. Here's what they have had to say. Awakening to urinate can be a
weakened bladder problem (from untreated diabetes or an enlarged prostate, per
the urologist, from untreated apnea or enlarged prostate per the sleep doc). My
nighttime awakening went from 3 or 4 to 1 with treatment for apnea.
I never used to wake up and need to go. Now I do, but usually about an hour
before I would get up anyway. I also have a tendency to drink a huge pot of
tea and other liquids before bed. So it's no wonder! When I quit smoking,
I needed something to do with my mouth and hands. I didn't want to eat
more, so I started drinking more liquids. And I'm still doing it.
Post by NormC
Nighttime awakening is not a characteristic of 'getting old' per the sleep doc,
for either sex. The urologist says any male over 50 who wakes once to urinate
is normal.
Sorry for the long post, but the time seemed right to mention these things. I
am only aware of Tiger Lily, Sleepyman, and myself here with OSA. Are there others?
I think there are others.
Opal
2004-01-07 04:48:03 UTC
Post by NormC
Sorry for the long post, but the time seemed right to mention these things. I
am only aware of Tiger Lily, Sleepyman, and myself here with OSA. Are there others?
Me, me, me. I was just diagnosed with it a few weeks ago, but because of a
really nasty cold that set in at the same time, I just spent my first night
last night with a CPAP machine. Ugh. Worst night sleep I've had since the
night of my tests!

Anywho, if it matters in your thoughts of the linkage with diabetes plus
sleep apnea, my tiredness started about 8 1/2 years ago when I was pregnant
with my daughter (who turned 8 yesterday! My goodness, where has the time
gone???) ... and I was diagnosed as having gestational diabetes in the last
trimester. And diagnosed with "the real thing" shortly after her 1st
birthday.

-----
Kelly
T2, yada, yada
AWholeNewMe
2004-01-07 05:06:22 UTC
Post by NormC
Sorry for the long post, but the time seemed right to mention these things.
I am only aware of Tiger Lily, Sleepyman, and myself here with OSA. Are there
others?

Yes, Norm. Myself and my brother. We are both Type-II and he is 'morbidly
obese'. (He is not on this ng tho).
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
"Diana" <./././././././>
2004-01-07 05:32:51 UTC
I have sleep apnea but not the obstructive kind. I was diagnosed with
Hyperinsomnia with sleep apnea. The sleep center said it was where I
never sleep because my mind won't shut down it is always thinking and
I am moving my legs and then when my body can't take not having the
sleep it shuts down and then I start to die. They said my body feels
as though it worked double shift as to others working one and I would
finally just shut down.

I couldn't do the c-pap because I kept hyperventilating and the lady
was afraid I would die on her so she sent me home and she would not
use nasal pillows, said she didn't have them there but only had the
two full face "muzzles" I call them :-). She had me muzzled like a dog
and had it so tight around my face I felt suffocated. So I am only on
oxygen therapy for it right now because my O2 saturation goes down to
80 during my sleep.

Diana
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
Fred
2004-01-07 19:18:39 UTC
Add one more to that list. If you are having trouble with CPAP ( I know I
did, try using a resmed autoset T or the autoset Spirit machines. They are
more expensive than the regular CPAP, but they work much better, as they
only ramp up to your need and back off the pressure when you don't need it.

In addition, I use a 5 mg pill of zopiclone (rhovane) to assist in
sleeping - sleep like a baby - zopi has no addictive tendencies, and does
not leave you with a drugged feeling when you wake up.

I was diagnosed both with the OSA and type II diabetes about 2 yrs ago by
the med centre at the college I was attending. Damn good thing they spotted
it, as no other doc did.

Good luck with both!

Fred.

(email address is phony - please reply to group)
T2, yada, yada
Tiger Lily
2004-01-07 20:35:14 UTC
i have the AutoSet Spirit and have to give it the "two thumbs up" approval

the CPAP i had before was one fixed pressure, so you still get the odd
apneic event and sometimes simply too much pressure...... i like having the
varied pressure you get with the Spirit (i paid the extra to get this
covered by insurance)
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
T2, yada, yada
NormC
Kate - Is the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom available 24/7?
Tiger Lily
2004-01-08 00:14:47 UTC
Norm...... sure is!
you can download Virc or Xchat or many other programs to access the network
details are in the URL below

Ozgirl
2004-01-08 01:22:00 UTC
Post by NormC
Post by Tiger Lily
covered by insurance)
Kate - Is the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom available 24/7?
When the Americans and Canadians go to bed the Aussies
are usally around and the Brits are just waking up. It
is at it's busiest during the evening for
Americans/Canadians though.
Opal
2004-01-08 01:35:53 UTC
Post by Fred
Add one more to that list. If you are having trouble with CPAP ( I know I
did, try using a resmed autoset T or the autoset Spirit machines. They are
more expensive than the regular CPAP, but they work much better, as they
only ramp up to your need and back off the pressure when you don't need it.
Actually, the autoset Spirit is what I have right now.... its a loaner, set
to ramp up as needed from 5 to 11 to determine what setting I need when I
get "my" CPAP. I've got it until Friday.

As it stands right now, I'm much *MORE* tired waking up the last 2 mornings
with the CPAP than I usually am without it. I keep waking because of my
throat (tail end of my cold, dry & sore, not related to the CPAP) or
coughing my head off... seems that the CPAP is blowing like crazy when that
happens, so I'm not sure if the pressure is going up because of an episode
which makes me cough, or the cough is being interpreted by the machine as an
episode & ramping up the air. But, it is VERY difficult to cough
comfortably with a CPAP on! :-)

---
Kelly
T2, yada, yada.
Sleepyman
2004-01-08 05:58:56 UTC
Post by Fred
[...]
Funny thing, I was just thinking of all the sleep tests I have taken,
and even though they have all failed to find something that worked for
me, I just realized, I must have gotten some benefit. After each one,
I felt relatively rested when it was over. Odd.....

Sleepy

You can tell those republicans sure do like the poor folks,
They just keep helping create more and more of them!
Fred
2004-01-08 18:35:54 UTC
As a suggestion, does your spirit have the humidifier option? If so, try
turning it up 1/2 to 1 notch. If it does not, you will need it (personal
experience, here).

Hope this helps,

Fred
T2, yada, yada.
Opal
2004-01-08 23:59:01 UTC
Post by Fred
As a suggestion, does your spirit have the humidifier option? If so, try
turning it up 1/2 to 1 notch. If it does not, you will need it (personal
experience, here).
Actually, I went the other direction... it has a heated humidifier that the
technician set to 3, but I felt like I was drowning the first night and the
mask was full of condensation, so I turned it down a bit.

Thanks anyways. :-)

----
Kelly
T2, yada, yada
Sleepyman
2004-01-08 05:55:41 UTC
Post by Fred
Add one more to that list. If you are having trouble with CPAP ( I know I
did, try using a resmed autoset T or the autoset Spirit machines. They are
more expensive than the regular CPAP, but they work much better, as they
only ramp up to your need and back off the pressure when you don't need it.
In addition, I use a 5 mg pill of zopiclone (rhovane) to assist in
sleeping - sleep like a baby - zopi has no addictive tendencies, and does
not leave you with a drugged feeling when you wake up.
Never having heard of zopiclone, I looked it up. I hope you are only
using this short term, as it does have addictive qualities amongst
other things. I was hoping it would be an alternative for Ambien, but
alas, it doesn't seem to be.

Be carefull
Sleepy
Lance-A-Lot
2004-01-08 06:11:57 UTC
Post by Sleepyman
Never having heard of zopiclone, I looked it up. I hope you are only
using this short term, as it does have addictive qualities amongst
other things. I was hoping it would be an alternative for Ambien, but
alas, it doesn't seem to be.
Hey Sleepy!

I'm on Clonazepam (generic name), 1 mg, once before bedtime. It helps me sleep
well, but then I suffer from "can't-turn-it-off-brain-itis". (I'm bipolar).
It may not be the thing for you, but I thought I'd mention it. And I do have
some trouble waking up, then feeling groggy for awhile, but nothing serious.
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
Lance-A-Lot
2004-01-08 15:30:32 UTC
Post by Lance-A-Lot
Post by Sleepyman
Never having heard of zopiclone, I looked it up. I hope you are only
using this short term, as it does have addictive qualities amongst
other things. I was hoping it would be an alternative for Ambien, but
alas, it doesn't seem to be.
Hey Sleepy!
I'm on Clonazepam (generic name), 1 mg, once before bedtime. It helps me sleep
well, but then I suffer from "can't-turn-it-off-brain-itis". (I'm bipolar).
It may not be the thing for you, but I thought I'd mention it. And I do have
some trouble waking up, then feeling groggy for awhile, but nothing serious.
--
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
Aaaacckk!! Oh Geeze! I got that one backwards!

I'm taking Clonazepam *because* I suffer from
"can't-turn-the-brain-off-at-night-itis", aka "racing thoughts". This "mood
blocker" helps me sleep at night, and I don't wake up so "angry" and ready to
kill the next morning... (Of course I take other stuff also...)

Sorry for the confusion.
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
Sleepyman
2004-01-08 17:05:50 UTC
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:30:32 -0500, "Lance-A-Lot"
Post by Lance-A-Lot
Post by Lance-A-Lot
well, but then I suffer from "can't-turn-it-off-brain-itis". (I'm bipolar).
It may not be the thing for you, but I thought I'd mention it. And I do have
some trouble waking up, then feeling groggy for awhile, but nothing serious.
--
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
Aaaacckk!! Oh Geeze! I got that one backwards!
I'm taking Clonazepam *because* I suffer from
"can't-turn-the-brain-off-at-night-itis", aka "racing thoughts". This "mood
blocker" helps me sleep at night, and I don't wake up so "angry" and ready to
kill the next morning... (Of course I take other stuff also...)
Sorry for the confusion.
I was scripted for it for anxiety/agoraphobia. My shrink suggested
that I try it to help go to sleep. It helps, but I still keep waking
up.

Rose
2004-01-07 00:25:09 UTC

<snip>

Post by Julie Bove
Took two more Ibuprofen. They haven't kicked in yet. Some days are just no fun!
The unexpected drop may be an interaction between the Ibuprofin and
whatever BG meds you're on.

I was warned about NSAIDs when I started Amaryl years ago. NSAIDs,
such as Ibuprofin, will increase the effect of Amaryl. When I
occasionally needed ibuprofin back then, I had to watch that I didn't
go too low.

Some time later, when my neurologist put me on daily Ibuprofin (3tabs
4x/day, which I've since lowered to twice a day), I had to cut back on
my Amaryl. Now, I know to be careful if I need an extra dose.

I hope no one decides to try to use NSAIDs for BG control. Prolonged
use of NSAIDs can damage the liver. However, if you do use them
occasionally or need to add them to your daily regimin, please be
careful and ready to adjust your BG meds.

YMMV

Rose
T2
Julie Bove
2004-01-07 03:13:44 UTC
Post by Rose
The unexpected drop may be an interaction between the Ibuprofin and
whatever BG meds you're on.
That could be. I take Starlix and Metformin. I try to avoid taking
Ibuprofen because I don't think it's good to take on a regular basis. But I
just couldn't stand the pain any more and had become extremely grouchy
because of it.
Post by Rose
I was warned about NSAIDs when I started Amaryl years ago. NSAIDs,
such as Ibuprofin, will increase the effect of Amaryl. When I
occasionally needed ibuprofin back then, I had to watch that I didn't
go too low.
I took Amaryl when I was first diagnosed and had to quit it due to frequent
hypos.
Post by Rose
Some time later, when my neurologist put me on daily Ibuprofin (3tabs
4x/day, which I've since lowered to twice a day), I had to cut back on
my Amaryl. Now, I know to be careful if I need an extra dose.
I hope no one decides to try to use NSAIDs for BG control. Prolonged
use of NSAIDs can damage the liver. However, if you do use them
occasionally or need to add them to your daily regimin, please be
careful and ready to adjust your BG meds.
I'm aware of the problems they can cause. I was taking mega doses of
Ibuprofen some years ago after developing acute tendonitis from using one of
those "As Seen On TV" Gut Busters. Didn't do a thing for my abs, but played
hell on the tendons in my legs. The Dr. was monitoring me carefully while I
used the Ibuprofen. I think I used it for about 3 weeks.
Jmmbear
2004-01-07 02:33:05 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Lunch was still 4 hours away. Ate one Hershey's kiss and a bit of green
salad with a few olives in it. That took the hunger away. Did a few chores
around the house and then took a nap. Now the left side of me feels fine,
but the right side is still all stiff and tense. Took two more Ibuprofen.
They haven't kicked in yet. Some days are just no fun!
--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/
So sorry this is happening.. ((((Julie)))
Here is hopeing tomorow will be better..
189/154/120
Julie Bove
2004-01-07 03:15:03 UTC
Post by Jmmbear
So sorry this is happening.. ((((Julie)))
Here is hopeing tomorow will be better..
I'm actually feeling much better than normal now. That's a scary thought!
:) I know I'll be complaining tomorrow when the temp. reaches the teens. I
always have to have something to complain about.
Jmmbear
2004-01-07 06:22:31 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Jmmbear
So sorry this is happening.. ((((Julie)))
Here is hopeing tomorow will be better..
I'm actually feeling much better than normal now. That's a scary thought!
:) I know I'll be complaining tomorrow when the temp. reaches the teens. I
always have to have something to complain about.
--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/
LOL dont we all.. Im glad your feeling better.. Scary when we have no idea what
is causing the wild fluctuations.. My mom posted about the cold, said she would
have the heater going in the bathroom. Old small house, she is always afraid
the pipes in the bathroom will freeze.. House has no celler, so she has cause
to worry.. Hope you all stay nice and cozy...
189/154/120
RK
2004-01-07 05:44:40 UTC
top posting so sue me, i'm tired.

Julie i can empathize .. you know that.
just think of it as another hurdle, this too shall
pass.. try not to beat yourself up too much, just
think tomorrow "has" to be better, and it will.

good luck..
--
RK - t1
In tribute to the United States of America and the State
"Diana" <./././././././>
2004-01-07 03:01:49 UTC
I love a top poster :-) Tomorrow will be better for us all.

Love Di
Post by RK
Post by Julie Bove
bit high for me, but I did eat a new kind of corn chip for my lunch and I
simply chalked it up to eating one too many. I ate only 6 of
them, but
Post by RK
they
Post by Julie Bove
are larger than the blue corn chips that I normally eat 6 of.
Checked my
Post by RK
BG
Post by Julie Bove
By the time I went to bed, the back of my neck hurt and also my forehead.
Neck and shoulders felt stiff. I very rarely get headaches. I
chalked
Post by RK
this
Post by Julie Bove
up to tension because my daughter was really getting on my nerves
and
Post by RK
seemed
Post by Julie Bove
to be making a career out of it. When I tucked her into bed, she
said
Post by RK
Post by RK
Post by Julie Bove
almost a migraine type because lights were bothering my eyes and
my
Post by RK
stomach
Post by Julie Bove
didn't feel too good. BG upon arising was 166! Haven't seen a
number
Post by RK
that
Post by Julie Bove
high in a while, with the exception of the few high numbers I had
during
Post by RK
the
Post by Julie Bove
worst of that recent sinus infection. Took two Ibuprofen along
with my
Post by RK
usual
Post by RK
Post by Julie Bove
daughter to the bus and luckily caught a ride there and back with
Post by RK
neighbor
Post by Julie Bove
because I really didn't feel like walking.
Began to feel more unwell and more hungry as soon as I got back home.
Suspected that my BG might still be high based on how I felt, but when I
tested it, I was at 88! How I dropped that rapidly is beyond me.
The
Post by RK
only
Post by Julie Bove
thing I can figure is that the Ibuprofen took the pain away and
that
Post by RK
allowed
Post by Julie Bove
the numbers to drop.
Lunch was still 4 hours away. Ate one Hershey's kiss and a bit of green
salad with a few olives in it. That took the hunger away. Did a
few
Post by RK
chores
Lance-A-Lot
2004-01-07 03:12:13 UTC
Hi, Princess!

I agree. There's something special about a top poster. WAY back when, before
the www was even a twinkle in its daddy's eye, there were programmers who
decided the "normal" thing to do was to add new stuff at the tail-end of a
post. It seems to me that the first thing you see when you open a post is
(TAH-DAH!), the latest entry into the thread. Programmers. Always struck me
as a strange sort. Oops, forgot, I trained in C++. Oh well, guess that makes
me 'a strange sort'. Heheheh.
--
Yours,
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
Love Di
"Diana" <./././././././>

Love Di
AWholeNewMe
2004-01-07 04:34:26 UTC
Hi Princess,

Hmmm - It's 11:30 PM here on the east coast of the US,
and the son is STILL shining. ...Oh, that's not the son...
IT'S DIANA! Thanks for brightening up my (night?) !!
--
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
Post by Lance-A-Lot
as a strange sort. Oops, forgot, I trained in C++. Oh well, guess
that makes
Post by Lance-A-Lot
me 'a strange sort'. Heheheh.
--
Yours,
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03
Love Di
Julie Bove
2004-01-07 03:16:01 UTC
Post by RK
top posting so sue me, i'm tired.
Julie i can empathize .. you know that.
just think of it as another hurdle, this too shall
pass.. try not to beat yourself up too much, just
think tomorrow "has" to be better, and it will.
Thanks! I'm feeling just fine now and BG is fine too, although lower than
normal. It just bugs me when stuff like this happens and I can't figure out
why.
barbara trumpinski-roberts
2004-01-07 22:09:00 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
I don't know what in the heck is going on today, but it's not fun.
Yesterday started out quite normal. Tested at 143 after lunch. This is a
bit high for me, but I did eat a new kind of corn chip for my lunch and I
simply chalked it up to eating one too many. I ate only 6 of them, but they
are larger than the blue corn chips that I normally eat 6 of. Checked my BG
before and after dinner, and everything was fine then.
i hope it straightens out for you, julie...

hugs,

kitten
--
barbara trumpinski-roberts ***@uiuc.edu
Funk Library Technical Services UIUC 333-2416

"...we are compelled to accept ethics as the indispensible interface between
my desire to be happy and yours." the dalai lama
Julie Bove
2004-01-08 03:06:24 UTC
Post by barbara trumpinski-roberts
i hope it straightens out for you, julie...
Everything seems fine today. Thanks!
Loretta Eisenberg
2004-01-08 00:03:42 UTC
I hope you are feeling better today Julie. Could you be coming down
with the flu. The one thing I have learned about diabetes is that it is
totally unpredictable.

Loretta

terrorism.
Julie Bove
2004-01-08 03:28:09 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
I hope you are feeling better today Julie. Could you be coming down
with the flu. The one thing I have learned about diabetes is that it is
totally unpredictable.
I'm feeling really good today with the exception of the windburn/chapped or
whatever you call it skin on my face. It's so cold here (which I'm sure you
know) and Angela and I stupidly made the 10 minute walk to the bus, only to
have to wait in the freezing cold for another 1/2 hour. I then had to walk
back home again. Her skin only looks a little pink. I look like I have a
whopping case of Rosacea, which I may in fact have because it does run in my
family. My skin is all inflamed and hot to the touch. Tomorrow, we are
driving to the bus and I'm also going to wear the ugly knit hat I bought
that covers the whole face except for the eyes. I'd better get one for
Angela too, but in the meantime she'll be wearing a scarf around her face.

Honestly, I was feeling so energetic today, that Angela and I spent over an
hour exercising. We did the hula hoops and danced to Weird Al Yankovik. My
brother made up a CD of some of his songs that he thought we'd like. In
particular, we like "Bought it on EBay". It's very funny! And after I have
my snack, I think I'll use my weights.
Jmmbear
189/154/120
Loretta Eisenberg
2004-01-08 18:06:13 UTC
What a difference a day makes. I am glad to hear this. I use a shea
butter on my face to prevent the chapping of the face. it really works
good. I too have something, it is called red face which is a generic.
but I dont remember what, I also wear foundation which adds a layer of
protection.

Are you talking about the hats crooks wear when they are doing a holdup.
LOL

Loretta

terrorism.
Julie Bove
2004-01-08 19:04:53 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
What a difference a day makes. I am glad to hear this. I use a shea
butter on my face to prevent the chapping of the face. it really works
good. I too have something, it is called red face which is a generic.
but I dont remember what, I also wear foundation which adds a layer of
protection.
Are you talking about the hats crooks wear when they are doing a holdup.
LOL
I'm out of Shea Butter at the moment. Luckily, the Lysine Ointment I
ordered arrived last night. I used it twice and now most of the redness is
gone.

As for the hat, yes, that's the kind. Alas, the one I have is a youth size
and won't go over my head. I don't think it will go over Angela's head
either. I'm going to have to find a pin headed child to give it to. The
hat I bought has a stretchy top, but the part that goes over the lower face
and neck is polar fleece with no stretch to it. I've since ordered two
different models in extra large sizes. Don't want to have to wait a few
days to get them though. The place I ordered from is very quick. Usually
get my stuff in 2-3 days. The temp. is supposed to keep going down though.
Wah!
Loretta Eisenberg
2004-01-09 14:07:09 UTC
Hold on Julie, we are coming into a heat wave starting Monday, temps at
34. I think I have to get out my shorts. LOL

Loretta

terrorism.
Julie Bove
2004-01-09 20:25:47 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
Hold on Julie, we are coming into a heat wave starting Monday, temps at
34. I think I have to get out my shorts. LOL
Now the weather channel says 50% chance of snow on Monday. Wah!
Lance-A-Lot
2004-01-09 01:13:17 UTC
Post by Loretta Eisenberg
What a difference a day makes. I am glad to hear this. I use a shea
butter on my face to prevent the chapping of the face. it really works
good. I too have something, it is called red face which is a generic.
but I dont remember what, I also wear foundation which adds a layer of
protection.
Are you talking about the hats crooks wear when they are doing a holdup.
LOL
Loretta
--
In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.
Loretta, my wife suffers from something similar called Rosatia (sp?).
According to her it is prevalent in some places in Europe, although I've
noticed it more, as time goes on, in the U.S.

Sometimes I suffer from "red face" too, but that's usually caused by my other
problem, "open mouth, insert foot" <G> .
--
Steve, T2 since 9/29/03 - Amaryl & Metformin
Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?